Inkscape and Gimp - Tips and Templates for Stompboxes

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
Eloy
Information

Post by Eloy »

Well, i'm a complete noob using computer programs for drawing, but of course, i want to learn.
I'm a former user of Corel Draw and Paint Shop Pro but i have done a "software revolution" because of license issues :mrgreen: , now everything i use is legal and 100% free. Using standard formats is also a plus...
I really like Gimp and InkScape because this programs are more than enough for my poor drawing skills.
I have downloaded several templates for Inkscape that i found in this forum and i want to ask if anyone have some more to share with us.

Presently i need to draw Lines, dots or arrows around the pots but i'm having a bad time to draw them ...
You can find an example here, here or here .

Simple tips to help noobs like me are welcome.

Thanks.

Eloy
Information

Post by Eloy »

Thanks for the tip! I will try to do that too.
My native language is not English so i think i didn't explain correctely what i want! I want to draw the "1 to 10" Volume or tone or Gain information ... :lol:

Eloy
Information

Post by Eloy »

Eloy
Information

Post by Eloy »

After some research i have a tip for noobs like me to make simple vectors to make our stompboxes look nicer.
The tool to use is "Create Tiled Clone" at the Edit-> Clone menu. You can use whatever you want, dots, traces, stars, and so on ...
There are several ways of doing this, i will explain just one of them and the rest you will find by yourself.
Step 1- I have used a simple 20mm circle to know the limit of my knobs and the center is obviously the center of the circle...
Step 2- Then i draw a small circle and change its center to match the center of the bigger one, this is how you change the rotation center, it's very important since you want the dot's around the bigger circle.
Step 3 - With the small circle selected go to the "Create Tile Clones", choose "P1 Simple translation", 24 rows X 1 column, at “Shift” -100% per row Y, -100% per column X, at “rotation” 30º per row. Then hit “Create”.
Step 4- I removed the lower circle and the circle that was used just for reference.

ralley
Information
Completed builds: Tube reamer; Si Fuzz Face; Ge Fuzz Face; BSIAB II; SHO; Sparkleboost; Sparkledrive; Rat; Dist+; Echobase; ADA Flanger; Easyvibe; May Queen; Hot cake; Phase 90; Dr Boogie; Prof Tweed; Little Giant; Ruby; Modded Cry Baby wah; various power supplies

Post by ralley »

Hi Eloy, nice tutorial. If your interested I have an extension script for Inkscape that automates drawing tick marks and numbers around a pot scale. It's not finished (more functionality and error checking needed) but it works. I'll post a copy here in the next day or so (not at home now).

Rob.