Recording Software

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

It seems a lot of sources have dried up recently with an all ready hard to find area of warez.
Anyone have some links they could PM me on the down low of audio recording specific warez sites?
I'm trying to find a full version (English) of Samplitude 9 with no success, anything on top of that would be icing on the cake.

TIA

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Have you tried limewire?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

trevize
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by trevize »

Why don't you try opensource software?

I'm using both commercial and opensource software.

just search on sourceforge.com

there are audio recording software, midi sequencers, trackers avialable for amiga/pc/macos/unix and linux.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

modman wrote:Have you tried limewire?
I have not been on limewire in a while. Too many fake or virus filled releases. I use to use irc but that's a super pain in the butt. I found out about e2k some years ago and that was a joy to have for "testing out" music related warez. I've heard that recently a court ruling shut e2k down. I thought it was a pear to pear network?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I've heard that recently a court ruling shut e2k down.
hmm......
If you visit http://www.emule-project.net and you install and run the software it (still) will make a connection to the eD2k-network. (e2k....eD2k ???)

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

analogguru wrote:
I've heard that recently a court ruling shut e2k down.
hmm......
If you visit http://www.emule-project.net and you install and run the software it (still) will make a connection to the eD2k-network. (e2k....eD2k ???)

analogguru
Er um, you're right eD2k. I was using Drunken Donkey, which I supposed used the eD2k? That was a fantastic site for audio apps. Very fast. They moved over to DDGalaxy and recently was shut down... :(

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38326

The eMule (network? P2P?) can be pretty slow at times or sometimes does not work. Too little seeders? Still good though. Better than irc and a lot of others.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I use emule (emule project NOT emule.com :wink: ) - but, I have yet to find the real full Sam Pro v9 :cry:
bajaman

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

I use a bittorrent client, got cubase 8) It's the shit!

I am Klon.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Cubase SX was a big improvement over the old VST32 version.... started getting close to the quality of Nuendo. What version are they up to now; SX3?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Cubase - always crashes when least expecting it. :cry:
Samplitude - first time it crashed - most unusual, I was very surprised when it completely recovered itself after restarting the program - now THAT is good software :wink:
bajaman

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Samplitude is nice - I recorded my first commercially released album with it (not my music, a band hired me to record it), but Nuendo is by far the best recording program I've ever used.
Believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING, and Nuendo is the only one that has been 100% there for me to get the job done right every time in professional situations. Samplitude is my #2 choice.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

soulsonic wrote:Samplitude is nice - I recorded my first commercially released album with it (not my music, a band hired me to record it), but Nuendo is by far the best recording program I've ever used.
Believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING, and Nuendo is the only one that has been 100% there for me to get the job done right every time in professional situations. Samplitude is my #2 choice.
I've found Nuendo's use of cpu/memory resources to be somewhat bloated. I used to use that grand piano sample software they make and oddly enough it would always crash the system in either Cubase or Nuendo. In Logic it ran fine. I did some comparisons and where C&N would max out the cpu and use up tons of RAM, Logic and Samplitude was substantially less taxed for the same applications. This translated to a few more tracks and plugins before L&S would begin to freeze up or crash the system.

I also found that the mix-down algorithms of C&N and many other DAW apps to be less than accurate. Meaning, what you hear in the speaker mix does not quite come off as such in the internal mix-down. I'm not the only one who has had this issue with these and other DAW apps. There's a lot of engineers that refuse to do any mixing within these apps (Pro Tools for example) and chose to leave the levels set unity and DI out to an analog board with automated faders into a 2 track platform.
In Logic and Samplitude the mix-down algorithm used is very precise and there's no signal loss using soft faders. I've had very good success doing internal mix-downs within these two applications. I've also read that many engineers claim that recordings just sound better overall in Samplitude over others like Pro Tools, and I have to agree.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

bajaman wrote:I was very surprised when it completely recovered itself after restarting the program - now THAT is good software :wink:
bajaman
True, the first time it happened to me I was amazed that my tracks were still there. I can't tell you how many tracks I've lost over the years not having saved them right after they were recorded only to have a system freeze up. I now have a quick draw on the save command but sometimes you forget. :roll: Especially after a couple glasses of vino... :lol:

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

If you're using windows, a very good free sequencer would be Reaper, really awesome.
For Linux you could take Muse or Rosegarden.
Search the KVR Audio database for more good free software.

Still not satisfied? Then you might finde here what you're looking for...

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Vanessa,
You really had trouble with Nuendo being "bloated"? I've found the opposite to be the case! I can get Nuendo to do all kinds of great things whilst not hardly taxing the CPU at all. I do NOT lump Cubase in with Nuendo - I have always felt that Cubase IS bloated and inefficient, but Nuendo has always seemed to take care of that problem. When I first moved up from Cubase VST/32 to Nuendo 1.x, it was night and day.... not even the same applications. Since getting Nuendo 2, I've tried Cubase SX a couple times to see if they've improved it, and it does seem much better than the old VST/32, but it still can't touch Nuendo.

Seriously, what kind of sound card are you using? Maybe it's ASIO drivers aren't up to snuff? My experience has been that the quality of the drivers are a GIGANTIC factor in the overall performance of a native-based DAW. I use an M-Audio Delta 1010 on an aging 1.2GHz P3 machine with a measly 256MB of RAM and I never have resource issues when running Nuendo.

As far as sound goes.... I haven't experienced any appreciable difference in the sound of a rendered mix vs. it being played "live" in the software, but then again, I've never really listened for it either. I know that my sweet sounding 88.2kHz/24bit mix is going to be ruined by the time it gets turned into a 44.1kHz/16bit CD anyway, so after the mix is rendered, any further processing (editing, mastering) is all done with the intent of keeping the sound from being messed up too much when it gets the final chop before becoming a finished CD, so I usually don't bother to notice whether it sounds much different then the live playback.

I think most of the major native DAWs sound better than Pro Tools - that's pretty much considered a given these days. Even other DSP based ones are nicer - remember the Ensoniq PARIS system? I always thought that one sounded totally sweet.

I've never gotten Logic to successfully run on any machine I've ever owned - I gave up on it years ago.... and now it just seems like a Mac thing only. :cry:

Thanks for those links Marshmellow! I love checking out new freeware!

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

My use of Nuendo was several years back. At the time I had a pretty powerful system by the days standard.
I think with todays 64 bit dual core technologies you might not even see any issues at all. But at the time when trying to squeeze 24 tracks with plugins out of a native 32 bit single core 1.8 GHz with 1GB RAM you could tell the differences for sure.

Even with Logic and later Samplitude I had to bounce a lot of tracks with plugins (mostly compression) to disk to free up CPU and memory resources. Nuendo at the time was a pig. It may have changed, but honestly I doubt it. It's more about how the core of the software is written. They just build on to it over the years. They don't say to themselves "Hey let's totally rewrite our software from scratch to make if perform better". I'm sure what ever it lacked back then was compensated for by higher performance computers later on.

Audio cards? Hmmm...

If I had the money I would get a RME card with several Apogee Rosetta 800's.

I currently use Echo Layla 24/96 cards. They have some of the best AD/DA converters and signal to noise ratio out there for the price. The specs on these are even and in some areas surpass Pro Tools HD 96 systems.

A 24/192 system would be great, but honestly when they started coming out of 24 bit 96k cards that's when it was over for tape as a practical means of recording (not really, I still love tape and many others too). You started seeing Studers that used to sell for $150,000+ up for sale at ridiculously cheap prices, practically giving them away. So I'm in no rush to run out and upgrade to the 192k platform.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

I'm convinced now that your problems with Nuendo were due to inadequate ASIO drivers.

I was able to do 24+ tracks with Nuendo on an ancient 450MHz P2 with 256MB of RAM!!!!!! I couldn't even get close to that with any of the other programs I'd tried up to that point (Cubase, Samplitude, etc.....) and Nuendo just blew the door wide open for serious production capabilities for me. This was first with an Aardvark Aark24, and then later with the Delta. Both of those cards feature advanced ASIO drivers, and I think it's that (along with a nice fast hard drive) that really make high track count happen. The RME cards are another example of a card designed with advanced ASIO drivers in mind - I believe they even have their ASIO drivers embedded into their hardware.

I'm personally not interested in ever jumping up to 192KHz - what I really want to see is affordable single-bit DSD systems. I'm not entirely sure how they could make those really work in a DAW format - I know Sonic makes one, but I'm not so sure about how it does it's editing and whatnot, and it's still stupid expensive.......

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

soulsonic wrote:I'm convinced now that your problems with Nuendo were due to inadequate ASIO drivers.

I was able to do 24+ tracks with Nuendo on an ancient 450MHz P2 with 256MB of RAM!!!!!! I couldn't even get close to that with any of the other programs I'd tried up to that point (Cubase, Samplitude, etc.....) and Nuendo just blew the door wide open for serious production capabilities for me. This was first with an Aardvark Aark24, and then later with the Delta. Both of those cards feature advanced ASIO drivers, and I think it's that (along with a nice fast hard drive) that really make high track count happen. The RME cards are another example of a card designed with advanced ASIO drivers in mind - I believe they even have their ASIO drivers embedded into their hardware.

I'm personally not interested in ever jumping up to 192KHz - what I really want to see is affordable single-bit DSD systems. I'm not entirely sure how they could make those really work in a DAW format - I know Sonic makes one, but I'm not so sure about how it does it's editing and whatnot, and it's still stupid expensive.......
No the Echo Layla 24/96 was a top of the line (still is after all these years) rack unit/card. At the time it was one of the few that had really well written ASIO drivers and still holds true today. They still update their old cards drivers (pretty cool). They even have XP 64 and Vista support for it, and that card has been discontinued for a couple years.

It had nothing to do with ASIO drivers. I used to run system profilers to get a CPU and memory count and in Nuendo it would red line much quicker than Logic or Samplitude.
I was able to do 24+ tracks with Nuendo on an ancient 450MHz P2 with 256MB of RAM!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure if I was only running audio, I could get that out of Nuendo (and many others) with systems specs like that.

When I say 24 tracks, I mean 24 tracks with compression and eq (plugins) on every channel. Running a heavy reverb program (plug) via aux buses. I used to run sample programs for drum kits, strings, piano, organs, etc. Lots of stuff hitting that system.
I'm not saying Logic or Samplitude ran perfect. Just that Nuendo would freeze up before these in the same environment. If I had a choice of being able to run 19 tracks like that or 24 if I needed it, I would gladly take the 24. That's all I'm saying.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

I dunno, we must have very different styles of working - I still generally mix and do things the same way on a new fast computer as I did it on my old P2, so... I'm used to doing things as economically as possible so I can squeeze every bit of performance out of the older systems.

I'm going to be starting on a new project soon - it will be the first serious recording I've done in a long time. I plan on doing it in Nuendo, and it will be a rather track/processor-heavy thing, so I guess I'll see how far I can push it. I know I haven't had Nuendo actually lock up on me in years, so we'll see if I can still get the magic out of it.

I might also play around with Reaper and see how well that works. I like the idea of alternative programs. I like it when I try something different because it will give me ideas for new ways of doing things. I tried Tracktion once, but it was so clunky - didn't fit my style of working at all.

I'm also maintaining my collection of old soft synths - there's something about them.... remember Seer Systems' Reality? Man, that thing still kills. And all those weird ones like Rubber Duck and Granulab - anything that makes noises I'm into. I've got this one garbage freeware thing called Synthia - it's just like total 8 bit destruction, and it's in French.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

I just try to emulate (as much as possible) what bigger studios do with racks of outboard gear. Compression/EQ on every channel, etc.. It really can tax those older systems pushing more than 16 tracks.