schematic to veroboard newbie

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
aelling84
Information

Post by aelling84 »

Hi everyone,

I´m still new to the whole reading schematic and getting them on veroboard thing(y), so I was just wondering if this veroboard layout is correct or not.

It´s for the GGG Shin-Ei FY-2 schematic WITH THE BOOST ADDED, which you can find here.
Attachments
render.gif

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

I haven't checked your layout, but there are a few things I noticed:

you have resistors going to adjacent tracks. That's OK, but you'll have to stand them up, which will make your board taller. You also have angled components - again, this is OK, but often can take more room than it they're all in the same orientation. I'll have a go at an FY2 Vero layout and see if I can get it small and neat.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Not standard practice but if like on your layout you've got space above and below what would be a standing resistor, I personally fold the leads back under the resistor and into the holes (form it before you put it in) so that the resistor itself takes up more space but the wires themselves are only one track apart.

Another personal preference for me is to always put electrolytics in empty spaces if possible so I can lie them down, although that might be unneccessary depending on what capacitors you use (no point making things shorter than the tallest component)
Testing, testing, won too fwee