Can I use bipolar cap if spec shows polarized cap?

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
Yonatan
Information

Post by Yonatan »

I would like to build the ROG splitter-blend, but I just realized that I had ordered bipolar caps, and the spec shows some polarized caps. I looked at the schematic and then just ordered electrolytic caps for the polarized ones, without realizing that there are both polarized and bipolar electrolytic caps.

Can bipolar be used instead of polarized, for this schematic, or for other schematics in general? I searched and read that you can substitute non-polarized caps for polarized caps, if the capacitance/voltage rating is suitable, but I didn't find anything about polar vs. bipolar. In other words, do schematics show polarized caps because it is assumed that you'll only find polarized caps for those values, and they just want to show you how to orient the cap, or is the polarity actually needed for the circuit to work properly?

Here is a link to the schematic at ROG (hope it's o.k. to post a link to their image).

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

A lot of DIYers ... mod their commercial pedals substituting (low cost) polarized caps with (higher cost) bipolar.
It a choice of taste of course, but bipolar sounding more "smooth" than electrolitic.

You can change bipolar with polar an viceversa, no risk for your cicuit. Try, you'll taste the difference anc choice your sound !!