Can hear neighbour's cell phone ringing...

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Yonatan
Information

Post by Yonatan »

I can hear my neighbour's cell phone ringing through my amp when using my circuits. Is this RF interference, and how can I prevent it? Capacitor to ground on the input? Resistor on the input (in audio path? to ground?). Or is this a problem of enclosure shielding? (I have one circuit built into an enclosure, and one circuit sitting on the breadboard, but they both have this problem.)

jmraney317
Information

Post by jmraney317 »

Yes, that is exactly what you're getting. The solution, though, is going to depend on first finding which part of your rig is acting as an antenna. Since you have something on a breadboard, try adding a small (47 pF or so) capacitor from the output of your breadboard circuit to its ground and see if that helps.

If not, you may need to try the same thing across the input jack of your amplifier. If that doesn't solve the problem, the problem would have to be somewhere inside your amp. (You are using a three-prong plug, aren't you?)

Yonatan
Information

Post by Yonatan »

Just to follow up, for the circuit in the enclosure, this was solved as far as I can tell by putting the back on the enclosure :)

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

the remedy for RF interference is a small series resistor and cap to ground (LPF) on the INPUT. you want to filter it out before it is amplified, not after. on the upside, you may get to spy on your neighbors phone calls.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO