Clipping caps in BMP

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Silicon FF with tone control, Proco RAT, MXR Dist+, BMP, Phat Pig (custom 6 controls fuzz pedal)

Post by TV-Set »

Clipping caps in BMP (stages 2 and 3), why in some versions those are in front of the diodes and in others right after them? What influence does it have on the sound?

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

funny, this is the question I wanted to ask today :D

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

The cap is there to stop the clipping diodes from interfering with the transistor's bias, so doesn't matter if their in front, or in back of the diodes.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

phibes wrote:The cap is there to stop the clipping diodes from interfering with the transistor's bias, so doesn't matter if their in front, or in back of the diodes.
Phibes is right.

Imagine (not so hard) that a cap is a full shortcut for AC. In that case in your circuit diagram the cap could be replaced by a wire. Now wonder wether it makes a difference if that wire is before or after the diodes. It's none. But that's AC only.
And therefore the cap is there to differentiate between DC (which indeed sets the transistor bias) and AC, which carries the toan. Only after this the discussion can start that a cap's impedance is not 0 for AC but 1/jwC and that it will conduct higher frequencies better, which in turn does influence that toan.

When you get to the point of seeing circuits from an AC as well as a DC perspective (at the same time) life gets so much easier. It is one of the prime targets to aim for while learnig to understand electronics.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Silicon FF with tone control, Proco RAT, MXR Dist+, BMP, Phat Pig (custom 6 controls fuzz pedal)

Post by TV-Set »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
phibes wrote:The cap is there to stop the clipping diodes from interfering with the transistor's bias, so doesn't matter if their in front, or in back of the diodes.
Phibes is right.

Imagine (not so hard) that a cap is a full shortcut for AC. In that case in your circuit diagram the cap could be replaced by a wire. Now wonder wether it makes a difference if that wire is before or after the diodes. It's none. But that's AC only.
And therefore the cap is there to differentiate between DC (which indeed sets the transistor bias) and AC, which carries the toan. Only after this the discussion can start that a cap's impedance is not 0 for AC but 1/jwC and that it will conduct higher frequencies better, which in turn does influence that toan.

When you get to the point of seeing circuits from an AC as well as a DC perspective (at the same time) life gets so much easier. It is one of the prime targets to aim for while learnig to understand electronics.
Looks like u know what you're saying there... any books or articles I should read? :) would appreciate that a lot

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

TV-Set wrote: any books or articles I should read? :) would appreciate that a lot
"The Art Of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. There's not too much mathematics (you can't completely avoid it) and the descriptions of the way in which circuits function are superb.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

mictester wrote:
TV-Set wrote: any books or articles I should read? :) would appreciate that a lot
"The Art Of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. There's not too much mathematics (you can't completely avoid it) and the descriptions of the way in which circuits function are superb.
I'm not afraid of maths, I'm not a 12 year old kid, you see? :D Thank you, gonna find myself a copy