Final Sound.

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
codebreaker
Information

Post by codebreaker »

Hi everyone,

Can all capacitors throughout a circuit effect the final sound. Or is it pointlees putting high spec audio caps in certain sections of the circuit?

Cheers. Ash.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

20 pages minimum. :mrgreen:

You won't get a definitive answer on this because opinions differ so I could only suggest doing a few tests for yourself and seeing if it makes a difference to you. I think there can be subtle differences between some matched value cap types but it is always subtle, one never sounds great when another sounds bad. Whether you can hear the same is for you to find out yourself, and if you can, whether it makes it worth buying one cap type over another is again your own choice.

99% of the time I personally I use ceramic multi layer for caps below 1nF, polyester from 1nf to 2.2uf and alumnium electrolytics or tantalums for anything bigger than that and don't feel I'm missing anything by not using audiophile caps at silly prices.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

I have to wonder if the people in the audience (assuming you or I were playing live) would notice the subtle differences that different caps may - or may not - make.

And if we were only playing at home, by ourselves, would we appreciate the 0.01% (OK, think of your own small number) improvement ? Even if we did, what would we then do with it ?

We strive for perfection - but do we really know what it is ? And does anyone on the receiving end really care ?

I could probably play "Hi-Ho Silver Lining" through a rusty bucket and still go down a storm.

Now, should I use an audio grade bucket, or a plain old galvanised one ?

Lucifer
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

If you are striving for "that sound" for instance (Hank Marvin 1960), then "research has shown" that it's a combination of the pickups, echo unit (Meazzi), guitar (Fender Strat) with certain application of tremolo arm, and last but not least - the fingers!

I should think type of capacitors are the least of your problems!

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

The audience wouldn't know whether you were playing a £20 plastic Behringer or a Klon as long as you'd dialled in whatever you were playing to sound good with your gear, so there's not much chance of them identifying anything so subtle and even less so without anything to compare it to. But like with most things with this hobby and music in general, we make choices to please ourselves, then it's our job to please the audience if that's what we do.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

In any case, judging by the many audience recordings of gigs that I listen to, most people seem to go to a gig just to have a chat :D

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

I always ask the same question: who was the first successful musician to complain about those green caps?

codebreaker
Information

Post by codebreaker »

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of splashing out on some high spec caps to try in a circuit or two. But the thought did come to mind ' am i gonna notice the difference ' .
Cheers. Guys.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

The point is: you and a lot of other people will worth it?

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

And that's exactly why it's a matter of personal choice. What isn't worth it for one person will be worth it to another.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

codebreaker wrote:Hi everyone,

Can all capacitors throughout a circuit effect the final sound. Or is it pointlees putting high spec audio caps in certain sections of the circuit?

Cheers. Ash.
When you consider that 19 out of 20 musicians who tried our little test (in a local rehearsal studio) couldn't hear a difference between a germanium and a silicon Fuzz Face, you're wasting your time and money on expensive components. The "golden-eared" are called "Audiophools" for a very good reason.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Ha ha

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

IvIark wrote:And that's exactly why it's a matter of personal choice. What isn't worth it for one person will be worth it to another.
Exactly. Just do it, enjoy your self and tell us what you found... or what is worth for you :thumbsup

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

What your audience WILL notice is if your 'superduperwonderpedal' crackles, spits, farts - or dies.

So I always try to ensure a great build quality, with good soldering, tight nuts (especially for earthing), short wires and secured circuit board(s).

The knowledge that my pedal is reliable and consistent is worth far more than having audio spec caps in the thing.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook