Re-wiring a footswitch for a Reverb Unit...

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
EdgarMadhook
Information

Post by EdgarMadhook »

Hi,

I'm new here. This is my first post but hopefully it'll be a pretty easy one to answer.

I'd only ever made 3 pedals until recently, all BYOC ones with fantastic, step-by-step PDF instructions. Pretty much painting by numbers for me.
I'm clueless when it comes to electronics so following schematics is a no-no, as is explaining how something works. I'll nod but nothing will register!!

So, recently I build a Soulbender clone & had all sorts of LED issues, not to mention problems with the power source (battery or DC jack).
In the end I drove a few people mad over on Offsetguitars.com asking stupid questions in the hope that it'd eventually come clear (which it did in the end).
I figured I'd give them a rest & turn to you lot instead!

OK, here I am now. I've just finished building a Fender 6G15 Stand Alone Reverb, cabinet & all. I'm pretty proud of it too....

The wiring was actually easier than other, smaller pedal builds I've done. Pretty solid, nicely spaced out turretboard connections. Cloth wiring. Top notch components.
I had a bit of trouble-shooting to do involving a multi-meter & several hours of patience. In the end I'd simply missed one wire out. Doh!
It now works perfectly (after the tank mysteriously fixed itself) although I'll be switching out the Accutronics tank for a better MOD one instead.

Here's my question.....phew....

I bought a Vox footswitch (VF001) thinking it'd work fine with this unit. It works but the LED won't light up.
It turns out the pedal won't work properly unless I mod the tank (no) or mod the pedal (which I already did a bit).
I simply cleaned it up inside & made the shoddy solder joints more solid & protected with heatshrink...

I gave it a nicer LED collar too....

Can one of you folks look over these 2 wiring diagrams?
The top one is how it's wired now, PCB and all. The bottom one is what I came up with, based on a wiring diagram I found online.

All I want to do is get the LED to work. Am I on the right track?
If not could someone tell me what I need to do to get this right?

Thanks for your time folks.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

That looks fine to me. Let us know when you've done it.

I love the stand-alone reverb that you built too. VE-RY nice :thumbsup
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

What a great looking 6G15 unit :shock:

Could I see the insides?

EdgarMadhook
Information

Post by EdgarMadhook »

Brilliant!! Thanks for the replies. I'll be able to re-wire it tomorrow & hopefully everything'll be golden.

The insides are a little messier than the outside, that's for sure....

I've actually put more solder on the tops of each turret since these pics were taken. They look much more rounded & smoother now.

The whole thing was a lot of fun to build. I'm living in London & these things aren't cheap here, if you want the real deal Fender unit.
There are other brands that do a similar thing but after reading up on them the 6G15 was definitely the way to go. It's a pretty legendary piece of kit.

In total it probably cost me £50 less than a re-issue tank (bought in the US). I could've done it for even less if I'd sourced all the parts myself.
In the end I got a kit from Triode Electronics, a chassis from Mojotone & the rest from the UK.

Oh, and it sounds amazing!

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Hi EdgarMadhook,

I note you are in (or from) London.

We've got a thread going called "So Who's in the UK" (in the Freestomp Cafe section). It would be great if you joined in and told us a bit more about yourself.

There are a few other guys from London, so you'll be in good company.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

You did it fine, much better than Fender back in the 60's :) Plus, it's really hard to make this circuit messy ;)

Great job :thumbsup