dual buffer/ground loops

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
boidek
Information

Post by boidek »

Hi all,

I am thinking of building a dual buffer pedal without a switch.
The idea is to use 2 buffers as the first and last in the chain in one box.
so I am thinking of building a pedal with guitar-> into "IN_1"-> into buffer1 circuit ->"OUT_1"-> through all my pedals-> into "IN_2"-> buffer2 circuit -> "OUT_2"->AMP.

The thing I'm worried about is ground loops.
If I connect the DC ground to the buffer1+2 circuits and to all the inputs and all outputs as well.

Do you think ground loops will appear?
How do you think I should connect the ground in this situation?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I don't think it should be a problem. All of the pedals in your chain currently share a ground connection anyway (or should do) via the shielding ground in the guitar cables: This ground is connected to the amp's ground. Adding a buffer before and another after the chain will simply add to more connections to that common ground connection. It will be like adding two more pedals, one before and one after the chain. The fact that those two circuits share an enclosure should make no difference to noise/hum or risk ground loops since they are all connected.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...