Pot numbering, plus offboard wiring

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
bay-fisher
Information
Completed builds: Big Muff, Formula No. 5, Galileo, Kalamazoo,

Post by bay-fisher »

Hi all -

When wiring the pot to the circuitboard, I thought the lugs were 1, 2, 3 (from the left) when the dial is facing up... is this right?

I see that some schematics show resistors or caps soldered to pots... is this something that should be often done, or is it a pedal-specific option?

Also, is there a good bunch of sketches (or a link in FSS) showing offboard wiring, linking the input, output, DC, LED, switch etc?

Cheers

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

yes, when the pot has the shaft facing up and legs nearest you, the left leg is 1 - right is 3.

as for wiring.. I use the gaussmarkov tutorial for all my builds

http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/though ... p-a-1590b/
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

bay-fisher
Information

Post by bay-fisher »

Thanks Rocklander -

When asking the question, I had assumed that the legs were facing away from me, which is 180deg to what you were describing. Is what I've sketched up the numbering you had in mind?

That page showing offboard wiring looks excellent. I'm always keen to avoid a 9v battery where possible.

Thanks for your help. The weather has been pretty wet this side of the Kaimais, no doubt the same your way too.. good pedal building weather.

bay-fisher
Information

Post by bay-fisher »

Thanks Rocklander -

When asking the question, I had assumed that the legs were facing away from me, which is 180deg to what you were describing. Is what I've sketched up the numbering you had in mind?

That page showing offboard wiring looks excellent. I'm always keen to avoid a 9v battery where possible.

Thanks for your help. The weather has been pretty wet this side of the Kaimais, no doubt the same your way too.. good pedal building weather.
Attachments
pot wiring - numbering
pot wiring - numbering
pot numbering.JPG (18.92 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

ha.. I hadn't even noticed your location... yeah it's been shyte here.. good pedal building weather, not so good to get the paint on the outside dry though... still, a wet day at home is better than a great day at work ;-)

yup.. that sketch is correct.. and even armed with that knowledge I still sometimes mess it up and get it the wrong way round.. it's all good. :blackeye
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.