My TS808 sound like a fuzz

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Chicowolf
Information

Post by Chicowolf »

Hi all.
I'm building a TS808 from GGG. Yesterday i tested my pedal and the sound is too fuzzy. what happened to my pedal?
Can you help me?

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface
Completed builds: Lots of mods to lots of pedals

Post by blackbunny »

You should carry out standard troubleshooting tests, starting from the power supply to the IC: DC voltage should be 8.6-9 volts at pin 8 of the 4558 IC, very close to half that (4.3-4.5 vDC) at pin 3 and pin 5. Pin 4 should be 0 vDC or grounded.
If these voltages are not correct, check the polarity of all diodes and electrolytic filter capacitors, using the markings on their casings and comparing each one to the circuit layout diagram from GGG.

If the DC voltages seem to be correct, but it still sounds fuzzy, next look for a shorted diode or ceramic capacitor in the clipping circuit (feedback loop of the IC). A multimeter set to measure resistance is very useful here.

Then look at all the PCB tracks and solder pads carefully in strong light (with a magnifying glass if possible) and make sure there are no short circuits caused by solder flowing between tracks, pads or components where it shouldn't.
Refer to your circuit layout diagram and compare it to your PC board as you search from one end to the other, looking for soldering errors.

Chicowolf
Information

Post by Chicowolf »

thank you, i've solved :D