Infrared Potentiometer in PT2399 delay

Collection of answers to the basic questions of stompbox building.

Infrared Potentiometer in PT2399 delay

Postby pecfor » 17 Jan 2015, 20:49

Hi Guys,

this is the first time I put a new topic on. I've a simple idea but I don't know how to get started with it.

I'd like to modify a PT2399 delay swapping the time and feedback pot with infrared sensors. I've noticed that normally the IR sensor give a variable voltage in output. How can I substitute a standard pot (with is a variable resistance) with a IR sensor without messing up the circuit?

In the PT2399 for example, pin 6 is normally connected to a 20K pot in order to vary the time repetitions. If I'd want to remove the pot and put an IR sensor there, how should I change the circuit?

Thanks a lot!
pecfor

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Infrared Potentiometer in PT2399 delay

Postby pecfor » 17 Jan 2015, 23:39

Anyone?!?!?!
pecfor

Postby Nocentelli » 18 Jan 2015, 11:46

I imagine you would need to send the voltage output from the IR sensor to an op amp or transistor, using the voltage to control the output of the amplifier to drive an LED, and use the LED's brightness to control the resistance to ground of the delay pin via an LDR. You might need to invert the response of the amplifier if you wanted more IR~>longer delay.

I typed "IR sensor to resistance" into Google, and the second result:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... -ZBr_MzVeg

Shows how an IR sensor can be set up to output a scale-able voltage (presumably could act as a sensitivity pot).

I'm interested in how you plan to use this - Perhaps you could use an LDR instead, and control the delay directly with visible light rather than use IR and a string of associated circuitry?
Last edited by Nocentelli on 18 Jan 2015, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks: 2
pecfor (19 Jan 2015, 02:30), rocklander (22 Jan 2015, 04:48)
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 809 times

Postby ~arph » 18 Jan 2015, 11:48

Why IR? I believe IR sensors are usually photo diodes/transistors and therefore are more suited to act as a logic switch rather than a variable resistance. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would require additional circuitry to get it to replace a pot. also note that if the pot is not wired as a variable resistor (only two lugs used ) you need a more complicated circuit.

Edit: nocentelli posted at the same time as me, here is my comment anyway
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

For this message the author ~arph has received thanks: 3
Nocentelli (18 Jan 2015, 11:58), pecfor (19 Jan 2015, 02:30), rocklander (22 Jan 2015, 04:48)
~arph
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 164 times

Postby grrrunge » 18 Jan 2015, 17:10

I've recently built a line sensor for use with robotics, that utilizes IR LED's and IR photodiodes. It's simple and less prone to pick up noise from the ambient light around the sensor circuit than solutions using LED's and LDR's.
IR photodiodes put out small currents, so you'll want to build a transimpedance amplifier, that'll convert the current from your photodiode to a DC voltage. With that DC voltage, you can then control some sort of voltage controlled resistor circuit.
It should be possible to build the entire circuit around two MOSFET's ;)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

For this message the author grrrunge has received thanks: 2
grrrunge
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 200 times

Postby grrrunge » 18 Jan 2015, 17:16

A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

For this message the author grrrunge has received thanks: 2
grrrunge
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 200 times

Postby pecfor » 19 Jan 2015, 02:58

Nocentelli wrote:I

I'm interested in how you plan to use this - Perhaps you could use an LDR instead, and control the delay directly with visible light rather than use IR and a string of associated circuitry?

Hi! thanks for your precious advice! I think using only the LDR would be a problem because it could be affected by the different lightning conditions in the room? with the IR calibrated for a short range I might be able to control precisely the variation of the time with my hand.

I found this: http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... oller.html

I think I could use the same circuit with a IR instead of the antenna?
pecfor

Postby pecfor » 19 Jan 2015, 03:02

~arph wrote: also note that if the pot is not wired as a variable resistor (only two lugs used ) you need a more complicated circuit.

Hi! interesting... Yeah I didn't considered the other option... Could you give me an advice in case of the pot is not a variable resistor? I guess I should play with the circuit before the optocoupler... Thanks a lot guys!
pecfor

Postby Nocentelli » 19 Jan 2015, 06:41

Most PT2399 delays I've seen just need a single variable resistance between pin 6 and ground.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 809 times

Postby pecfor » 19 Jan 2015, 10:14

Nocentelli wrote:Most PT2399 delays I've seen just need a single variable resistance between pin 6 and ground.

Ues you're right but I was planning to modify also the feedback pot (repeats)... And that one looks like a problem to me!
pecfor

Postby ~arph » 19 Jan 2015, 12:35

pecfor wrote:
~arph wrote: also note that if the pot is not wired as a variable resistor (only two lugs used ) you need a more complicated circuit.

Hi! interesting... Yeah I didn't considered the other option... Could you give me an advice in case of the pot is not a variable resistor? I guess I should play with the circuit before the optocoupler... Thanks a lot guys!

Well it totally deplends on how you intend to make the IR sensor output into a variable resistance. But the simple generic solution is to use two IR sensors and invert the output of one, so they both go in different directions. One causes a decrease of resistance then light enters it while the other causes an increase. This way you have both sides of the pot.
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

For this message the author ~arph has received thanks:
pecfor (19 Jan 2015, 13:16)
~arph
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 164 times

Postby pecfor » 19 Jan 2015, 13:14

~arph wrote:Well it totally deplends on how you intend to make the IR sensor output into a variable resistance. But the simple generic solution is to use two IR sensors and invert the output of one, so they both go in different directions. One causes a decrease of resistance then light enters it while the other causes an increase. This way you have both sides of the pot.

totally right! thanks a lot!
pecfor

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 20 Jan 2015, 12:20

Nocentelli wrote:Most PT2399 delays I've seen just need a single variable resistance between pin 6 and ground.

What's needed in essence is a current control between 6 and ground. So what's needed is a IR to current controller.
The Yerasov schems seem lika an axcellent starting point again.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 985 times

Return to Stompbox Builder's FAQs & How To's