Experiences with lead free solder

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
seziertisch
Information

Post by seziertisch »

This is slightly off topic, but what have your experiences been with lead free solder.

I have just started building and can't seem to get it to work. I am using a 25 watt iron and I can't seem to tin the tip. It just beads up and falls off. I have started using tip tinner and cleaner and it works for a bit but after a relatively short time the tip is blackened and unusable. I have watched numerous tutorials on soldering on youtube and I just can't get my iron to behave the same way.

Has anyone else had this experience. I mean, I expected I would botch a few joints as a result of not being experienced but being unable to bring my tools up to a usable standard was not one of the barriers I expected.

I have also read in a few places that depending on the lead-free solder you are using that some won't give a shiny joint no matter what you do. (Well, at least I hope that is the explanation for the lack of shine on my joints).

What solder would the more seasoned builders recommend? I am living in Europe (where all solder is lead free) are there any particular kinds of leadfree that are better for effects building than others, or should I try and source some leaded?