Elektra Cranker

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.

Re: Elektra Cranker

Postby snk » 06 Dec 2018, 10:46

Hi, Manfred,
Thank you. Indeed, your circuit is much simpler :)
I did it this way, because i soldered the diodes and leds directly on the switch (not on the veroboard).
But your circuit seems simpler, and should make the layout better. I need to consider it and figure out how to make it a veroboard.
snk
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby snk » 06 Dec 2018, 14:19

Manfred wrote:Hi snk, the double switching of the caps and the diode circuties is not absolutely necessary.

The good thing being that it gets rid of the need of using a 4PDT.
It's very easy for the CAP switch (few components involved), a tad bit messier for the CLIP switch (from the drawings i made, it involved either a much bigger veroboard if the diodes and leds are fitted on the veroboard, or having 12 leds & diodes soldered between the wires and the switch, right ?).

By the way, I am wondering if all the links and the routing to ground i did on the "dual circuit" veroboard is right ? I think the "core" of the circuit is fine, but i am unsure about the way i duplicated it on the veroboard :hmmm:

Last interrogation : could i get rid of the wire on A10 ("EQ lug A2 to ground"), if i solder both 1nF resistors from the second lugs of the dual pot together, (and therefore use only one single wire to ground) ?
snk
Breadboard Brother

Postby snk » 08 Dec 2018, 12:48

Hello,
This is an updated version of the layout :
- It now uses 2PDT (instead of 4PDT), as Manfred suggested;
- It features every knobs (the circuit uses dual gang knob, but each layer is represented by a single knob).
- I changed the veroboard size a bit (i made some improvements on J & K rows, which i combined : this way, the layout is 1 row more compact, and needs 1 link less). I hope i did not make any mistake :hmmm:
- I changed the wiring a bit, in order to make the circuit a bit less "spaghetti" (the grounds of the dual gang pot are linked together, so there are less wires going from the veroboard to the knobs).

Stavro Crank v4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author snk has received thanks:
Manfred (08 Dec 2018, 12:54)
snk
Breadboard Brother

Postby Manfred » Yesterday, 23:29

I made a strip layout where the most components are on the board.
The size is 1.9 x 1.9 Inches.
I have not yet built this board, but I checked it using the trace function of the Lochmaster software.
Please recheck it.
DoubleCrankerVeroConnections.JPG

DoubleCrankerVero.jpg

DoubleCrankerVeroSolderSide.jpg

PDF files for printing the original size:
DoubleCrankerVeroParts.pdf

DoubleCrankerVeroSolderSide.pdf

Lochmaster file:
speakercrankerdouble.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author Manfred has received thanks:
snk (Today, 00:11)
Manfred
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 509 times

Postby snk » Today, 08:16

Wow, thank you, Manfred !
I will give it a look :D
This is what i feared : adding diodes and capacitors to the PCB make it much bigger (twice as big at least), and increase a lot the amount of traces and cuts (making me more prone to making errors, ah ah :oops: ).
I will use your layout to compare it against mine, and i might try either yours or mine this week-end if free time allows :)
Again, thank you for yor precious help.
snk
Breadboard Brother

Postby Manfred » Today, 09:03

I will give it a look :D

Thank you snk!
This is what i feared : adding diodes and capacitors to the PCB make it much bigger (twice as big at least), and increase a lot the amount of traces and cuts (making me more prone to making errors, ah ah :oops: ).

Your are right, that was clear to me.
I will use your layout to compare it against mine, and i might try either yours or mine this week-end if free time allows :)
Again, thank you for yor precious help.

Don't worry about your layout is ok to me.
Manfred
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 509 times

Previous

Return to DIY Stompbox designs