From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...  [schematic]

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.

From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 30 Jul 2011, 11:50

Hi, here's the schematic of the TP-1011 (thanks oh7hhi!)... Now I want to isolate the mic preamp section to make a preamp/boost pedal like this:

http://www.treblebooster.net/rpa.html

Is the highlighted portion the right one?

thanks! :applause:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gilmour_pugliese on 30 Jul 2011, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author gilmour_pugliese has received thanks: 3
modman (13 Apr 2018, 09:50), progulus (15 Mar 2018, 14:52), Wlat (03 May 2014, 16:50)
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 20:26
Location: Martina Franca, Italy
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 34 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 12:07

Yeah, I reckon that section of the schematic that you've highlighted looks like the right section, it's hard to be sure exactly which section Ritchie Blackmore actually used, because I've read a few articles where he's being interviewed, and all he said was that he used the preamp of the AIWA TP-1011, still, I reckon that it would make a really interesting subject for a project, don't you think?... :hmmm:

I'm going to download a copy of the schematic and see if I can make a pedal out of it too.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 30 Jul 2011, 12:28

DrNomis wrote:Yeah, I reckon that section of the schematic that you've highlighted looks like the right section, it's hard to be sure exactly which section Ritchie Blackmore actually used, because I've read a few articles where he's being interviewed, and all he said was that he used the preamp of the AIWA TP-1011


Here's my Bible:

http://www.treblebooster.net/mk3.html

The mic preamp seems to be the right section... :mrgreen:

DrNomis wrote:I reckon that it would make a really interesting subject for a project, don't you think?... :hmmm:


oh yesssssssssssssss :popcorn:
Unfortunately I haven't a solid electronic knowledge, but if someone helps me to adapt the preamp into a pedal I'll draw a vero layout... :block:
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 20:26
Location: Martina Franca, Italy
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 34 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby RnFR » 30 Jul 2011, 12:32

I seriously doubt that BSM used that whole highlighted portion in their pedal. I'm betting it's something much simpler. personally, I wouldn't trust anything from a company that sells gooped single tranny boosters for $300, but by all means, make your own version. I would think the first stage or two would be fine, but the proper voltage is probably necessary to build it without it sounding like fuzz pedal.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
User avatar
RnFR
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 5138
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 07:02
Location: Inner Earth
Has thanked: 150 times
Have thanks: 174 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 12:39

gilmour_pugliese wrote:
DrNomis wrote:Yeah, I reckon that section of the schematic that you've highlighted looks like the right section, it's hard to be sure exactly which section Ritchie Blackmore actually used, because I've read a few articles where he's being interviewed, and all he said was that he used the preamp of the AIWA TP-1011


Here's my Bible:

http://www.treblebooster.net/mk3.html

The mic preamp seems to be the right section... :mrgreen:

DrNomis wrote:I reckon that it would make a really interesting subject for a project, don't you think?... :hmmm:


oh yesssssssssssssss :popcorn:
Unfortunately I haven't a solid electronic knowledge, but if someone helps me to adapt the preamp into a pedal I'll draw a vero layout... :block:



Well, I'm happy to give you some help with it mate, what I'll do is I'll draw just the hilighted section on a bit of A4 printer paper, scan it into my computer, and I'll get it posted in this thread, how about that?, I happen to be a bit of a Deep Purple fan myself.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 12:43

RnFR wrote:I seriously doubt that BSM used that whole highlighted portion in their pedal. I'm betting it's something much simpler. personally, I wouldn't trust anything from a company that sells gooped single tranny boosters for $300, but by all means, make your own version. I would think the first stage or two would be fine, but the proper voltage is probably necessary to build it without it sounding like fuzz pedal.




Well, we can always tweak it till we get it nailed anyway..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 30 Jul 2011, 12:44

RnFR wrote:I wouldn't trust anything from a company that sells gooped single tranny boosters for $300, but by all means, make your own version.


I think the same thing :lol:

RnFR wrote:I would think the first stage or two would be fine, but the proper voltage is probably necessary to build it without it sounding like fuzz pedal.


the BSM is powered at 9v... but IMHO a 18-24v gives more headroom and less fizziness :popcorn:

Now I'm comparing the Aiwa preamp with some treble boosters (JHS, Rangemaster, etc...) to find some similarities and then I'll reshape the original 4 stages to one or two :horsey:
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 20:26
Location: Martina Franca, Italy
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 34 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 14:16

Okay, I've made a print out of the original schematic and now I'm making a drawing of just the mic preamp and associated circuitry, stay tuned.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

For this message the author DrNomis has received thanks:
gilmour_pugliese (30 Jul 2011, 14:24)
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby oh7hhi » 30 Jul 2011, 14:39

I'm not sure how that "source"-switch works, but could it be that signal goes to line-out jack straight after the first 2SC372 (via 10k resistor and 50k pot) if the "source"-switch is in another position?
oh7hhi
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 20:12
Has thanked: 36 times
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby analogguru » 30 Jul 2011, 14:50

RnFR wrote:Personally, I wouldn't trust anything from a company that sells gooped single tranny boosters for $300, but by all means, make your own version. I would think the first stage or two would be fine, but the proper voltage is probably necessary to build it without it sounding like fuzz pedal.


How true. Astonishing, which s**t people buy when it is only conducted with a big name. I am sitting and wondering what this standard circuit could do specially, or if it wouldn´t be better to build an Colorsound Overdriver instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3285
Joined: 26 Jun 2007, 14:58
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 116 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 14:58

analogguru wrote:
RnFR wrote:Personally, I wouldn't trust anything from a company that sells gooped single tranny boosters for $300, but by all means, make your own version. I would think the first stage or two would be fine, but the proper voltage is probably necessary to build it without it sounding like fuzz pedal.


How true. Astonishing, which s**t people buy when it is only conducted with a big name. I am sitting and wondering what this standard circuit could do specially, or if it wouldn´t be better to build an Colorsound Overdriver instead.




Unfortunately that's the way it goes, you watch, these 2SC series Si transistors will attain the mythical status that Ge transistors attained.... :lol:


Welcome back to FSB Analogguru, haven't seen you around for a while.... :thumbsup
Last edited by DrNomis on 30 Jul 2011, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 15:00

oh7hhi wrote:I'm not sure how that "source"-switch works, but could it be that signal goes to line-out jack straight after the first 2SC372 (via 10k resistor and 50k pot) if the "source"-switch is in another position?




In my drawing, I've decided to eliminate all components and connections not used in mic preamp mode.... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 30 Jul 2011, 15:06

first of all, thanks for your contribution! :popcorn:


DrNomis wrote:Unfortunately that's the way it goes, you watch, these 2SC series Si transistors will attain the mythical status that Ge transistors attained.... :lol:

could I replace these super mojo trannies with a LM3046 without some Texan problems? :horsey: :mrgreen:


DrNomis wrote:Welcome back to FSB Analoguru, haven't seen you around for a while.... :thumbsup

+1
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 20:26
Location: Martina Franca, Italy
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 34 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 15:45

gilmour_pugliese wrote:first of all, thanks for your contribution! :popcorn:


DrNomis wrote:Unfortunately that's the way it goes, you watch, these 2SC series Si transistors will attain the mythical status that Ge transistors attained.... :lol:

could I replace these super mojo trannies with a LM3046 without some Texan problems? :horsey: :mrgreen:


DrNomis wrote:Welcome back to FSB Analoguru, haven't seen you around for a while.... :thumbsup

+1



I really can't see why you couldn't replace all transistors with an LM3046, as long as there's two transistors with their emitters tied together in the schematic.... :thumbsup


By the way, here's a scan of my schematic diagram, I tried to include all part values with them.... :thumbsup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby oh7hhi » 30 Jul 2011, 16:29

analogguru wrote:
RnFR wrote:Personally, I wouldn't trust anything from a company that sells gooped single tranny boosters for $300, but by all means, make your own version. I would think the first stage or two would be fine, but the proper voltage is probably necessary to build it without it sounding like fuzz pedal.


How true. Astonishing, which s**t people buy when it is only conducted with a big name. I am sitting and wondering what this standard circuit could do specially, or if it wouldn´t be better to build an Colorsound Overdriver instead.


It's the MOJO again :wink: ...
oh7hhi
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 90
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 20:12
Has thanked: 36 times
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby roseblood11 » 30 Jul 2011, 16:41

DrNomis wrote:could I replace these super mojo trannies with a LM3046 without some Texan problems?


Sure you can, but you will get a letter from Lance K. :D
Maybe you´ll end up as pen-friends...
roseblood11
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 1761
Joined: 23 Aug 2008, 15:21
Has thanked: 339 times
Have thanks: 307 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 30 Jul 2011, 17:15

roseblood11 wrote:
DrNomis wrote:could I replace these super mojo trannies with a LM3046 without some Texan problems?


Sure you can, but you will get a letter from Lance K. :D
Maybe you´ll end up as pen-friends...


:slap:
:popcorn:
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 20:26
Location: Martina Franca, Italy
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 34 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 30 Jul 2011, 17:37

analogguru wrote:I am sitting and wondering what this standard circuit could do specially, or if it wouldn´t be better to build an Colorsound Overdriver instead.


Looking both the AG scheme and Overdriver there're some similarities... I'm in doubt, 'cause I already own a Powerboost :scratch:
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 20:26
Location: Martina Franca, Italy
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 34 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby DrNomis » 30 Jul 2011, 18:13

gilmour_pugliese wrote:
analogguru wrote:I am sitting and wondering what this standard circuit could do specially, or if it wouldn´t be better to build an Colorsound Overdriver instead.


Looking both the AG scheme and Overdriver there're some similarities... I'm in doubt, 'cause I already own a Powerboost :scratch:



I wouldn't be surprised if the Coloursound Overdriver was based on the circuit, all that would have had to be done was add the bass/treble tone controls and change the resistor on the second transistor's emitter to a 10k pot, and voila!....instant Overdriver.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
User avatar
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 6886
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 05:56
Location: Darwin,Northern Territory Australia
Has thanked: 123 times
Have thanks: 396 times

Re: From AIWA TP-1011 mic preamp to a standalone pedal...

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 30 Jul 2011, 18:38

here's the comparison :popcorn:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 26 Oct 2008, 20:26
Location: Martina Franca, Italy
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 34 times

Next

Return to DIY Stompbox designs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests