Jack Orman - Fet Muff

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

Seems that the fet muff schematic is lost or deleted...

Does anyone have it ?

I understood it was a big muff without the diodes... 4 cascaded fet stages...

Am I wrong ?

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

Still no Fet Muff here...

For the moment seems it can only be found one AMZ CD....

minor7th
Information

Post by minor7th »

patafix wrote:Still no Fet Muff here...

At the moment, the Fet Muff will only be found on the AMZ.

Doug did the Fet Muff Plus, which was a modded version of that. :thumbsup

If you want all the fet muff details and layout, just spring for the AMZ CD. Support Jack Orman who has given a lot to the hobby, industry AND boutique builders (depending on who you are, no names mentioned). I've got one, and there's a heap of interesting stuff on it. There was some stuff that Jack asked me not to release to 'discussion.' Hey, I'll respect that for the very reasons outlined.

CD details here.

And no, I will not provide you with details of the Fet Muff! :P I am not preaching about the rights and wrongs of it all. [smilie=pope.gif] It's my personal opinion based on Jack's contribution. If someone else will give it to you- go for it.

minor7th [smilie=undecided.gif]

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm just a little french DIYer, working on stripboard !!!! This mentioned, I will, in no way, try to make profits with my builds... except maybe from the music I might play through them.

I also agree with the fact that some DIYers, such as J. Orman, gave a lot.

Maybe I'll try to design my own 4-fet-stages distortion... It might be a lot more interesting than copying one's designs....

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

With all due respect to Jack,

When I ordered my AMZ cd, I found an old backup of the website and nothing that wasn't online yet, it seemed. Don't know for sure, it's such a mess, really. I'd better bought some Indyguitarist ebooks!

I searched for the Fet Muff schematic on there for a half an hour. Only found the clip. Anybody can proof me wrong?

:(
minor7th wrote:
patafix wrote:Still no Fet Muff here...

At the moment, the Fet Muff will only be found on the AMZ.

If you want all the fet muff details and layout, just spring for the AMZ CD. Support Jack Orman who has given a lot to the hobby, industry AND boutique builders (depending on who you are, no names mentioned). I've got one, and there's a heap of interesting stuff on it. There was some stuff that Jack asked me not to release to 'discussion.' Hey, I'll respect that for the very reasons outlined.

CD details here.

And no, I will not provide you with details of the Fet Muff! :P I am not preaching about the rights and wrongs of it all. [smilie=pope.gif] It's my personal opinion based on Jack's contribution. If someone else will give it to you- go for it.

minor7th [smilie=undecided.gif]
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

minor7th wrote:

[smilie=undecided.gif]

Wasn't it Frank Clarke who did the Fet Muff Plus , not Doug ?

p.eat
Information

Post by p.eat »

Here you go. I can't remember where I found it, but it must have been available sometime as I don't have the CD.

Stuggi
Information

Post by Stuggi »

Would that circuit work with IRF540's?

minor7th
Information

Post by minor7th »

MoreCowbell wrote:
minor7th wrote:

[smilie=undecided.gif]

It was. Just seeing if anyone was actually reading it! Amazing what happens when you stir things up a bit- the responses start flowing...

And if you pop over to super-freq you can see one built about 6 months ago!

Ciao ...

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

minor7th wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:
minor7th wrote:

[smilie=undecided.gif]

It was. Just seeing if anyone was actually reading it! Amazing what happens when you stir things up a bit- the responses start flowing...

And if you pop over to super-freq you can see one built about 6 months ago!

Ciao ...
I occasionally pay attention !

Nice looking build, BTW...

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

I might be missing some theory, but I still have a question :

Why is there only one diode in the feedback path on the FETs instead of two in the original big muff ?

The switch selects between diode clipping and FET overload distortion, right ?
p.eat wrote:Here you go. I can't remember where I found it, but it must have been available sometime as I don't have the CD.

Patafix... so sticky

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

patafix wrote:I might be missing some theory, but I still have a question :

Why is there only one diode in the feedback path on the FETs instead of two in the original big muff ?
This diode thing bugs me also. Since the capacitor is charged in one direction by the diode, it has no discharge path, except for the reverse leakge current allowed by the diode. IME, the only way for this to work is using high-leakage diodes, i.e. Germanium. When this is engaged, I would expect the bias point to shift when the capacitors charge, and then return slowly to its "normal" operating point as the note dies away.

Is there anyone who has actually built this circuit that can give a clue on how the diode mod sounds?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I haven't built one, but I think putting a large-value resistor across the switch contacts may help with the potential problem, so that the cap still has a path, but it's essentially "turned off" as far as it's impact in the circuit.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Ok, sorry, yes I found it on the cd now. Want to set that straight, but it still dosn't seem indexed anywhere.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

I still have the PCB layout for that somewhere. I automated the switches with JFETs, just for grins.

jg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jg »

estragon wrote:
patafix wrote:I might be missing some theory, but I still have a question :

This diode thing bugs me also. Since the capacitor is charged in one direction by the diode, it has no discharge path, except for the reverse leakge current allowed by the diode. IME, the only way for this to work is using high-leakage diodes, i.e. Germanium. When this is engaged, I would expect the bias point to shift when the capacitors charge, and then return slowly to its "normal" operating point as the note dies away.

Is there anyone who has actually built this circuit that can give a clue on how the diode mod sounds?
? wut ?
When the diode conducts, it provides negative feedback such that the gain drops to 1. The 1Meg (470K on the 2nd stage) will bleed off any DC from the gate. Drive the gate of the FET high enough and it behaves just like a forward biased diode. I don't understand why you think the capacitor is getting charged by the diode? Looks to me like the diode clips the signal when the gate goes negative and the FET clips it when it goes high enough positive (the FET is basically full on)