Raygun Youth Chaos Fuzz

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
Freppo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Freppo »

Here is a new creation, especially for you noise-freaks :shock: :lol: :twisted:

I will let the sound speak for itself - I hope you like it

More info, schematic and vero layout can be found at my blog
www.parasitstudio.se

Cheers
/ Fredrik
Check out my building blog at http://www.parasitstudio.se

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

:shock: Wow 8)
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

:shock: .....That thing is insane...in a good way, that is.....cool..... :thumbsup

Definitely one I'm going to have to try making, as it just so happens I have some PLL ICs spare.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

The schumann pll makes some seriously wild noises, but this and a couple of escobedo's circuits do similar things with only 2 chips and for pennies.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

Goddamn, that's sick!! Thanks for sharing your project.
fuck smooth tone, fuck eric johnson - Seiche

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

:shock:
thanks for sharing!

OMFUG
Information

Post by OMFUG »

Hooooooly crap. *dashes out to get parts*

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

i salute you freppo, this is sick. i really like it.

i usually hate synthy fuzzes and won't even have one in the house, but you've stiched it to a squarewave octave fuzz with such finesse that i can conceive being able to dial out all the splatty synth sounds i don't like, to leave me still plenty of evil-scope to take classic beloved superfuzz nastiness into old-skool atari and casio toneworlds.

just decided this is going to be my first chip build. too good and do-able not to.

many thanks for the post and keep up the great work.

Freppo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Freppo »

Thanks all, I'm happy you like it. :)

cheers / Fredrik

commathe
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by commathe »

A bunch of 4046s just arrived. It feels like a sign. It was meant to be

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

So far I've gotten to the stage where I have all the tinned copper wire links and the IC sockets soldered in place on the veroboard I made, all I need to do now is solder in all the resistors and caps, make all the track-breaks, and then do all the work on the enclosure before doing all the final wiring, I don't have any CD4046 ICs, but, I do have four HCF4046BP ICs which I'm going to try using in my build and see if they work okay, the type of 4046 IC you use should not be too critical for correct operation of the circuit, so as long as it's a 4046 IC and you get the pinouts correct, it should work...... :thumbsup

I just thought of something, if you want to add an extra control to the Raygun Youth crisis circuit, what you could try doing is adding the filter from the Music From Outer Space Weird Sound Generator, this will give you a way to change the tone, if you want, you could somehow make the filter voltage-controllable so that it follows the envelope of the guitar signal....anyway, some ideas to try...... :thumbsup

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/inde ... 49&VPH=734

Stay tuned for updates...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

DrNomis wrote:I don't have any CD4046 ICs, but, I do have four HCF4046BP ICs which I'm going to try using in my build and see if they work okay, the type of 4046 IC you use should not be too critical for correct operation of the circuit, so as long as it's a 4046 IC and you get the pinouts correct, it should work...... :thumbsup

I just thought of something, if you want to add an extra control to the Raygun Youth crisis circuit, what you could try doing is adding the filter from the Music From Outer Space Weird Sound Generator, this will give you a way to change the tone, if you want, you could somehow make the filter voltage-controllable so that it follows the envelope of the guitar signal....anyway, some ideas to try...... :thumbsup

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/inde ... 49&VPH=734

thanks for the update re the chips. haven't bought any before so will wait for your all-clear before throwing lolly at any, in case i buy the wrong ones.

re the wsg filter, had a look at the schematic on the site but (having only just got to grips with a basic fuzz) was a bit out of my depth as far as identifying the filter. and the wacky-zany schtick obscures rather than clarifies. but if you use it i'd be interested to see and hear what you did and how you did it.

best of luck with your build and will look forward to seeing your reagan fuzz (in whatever mutant final form it takes).

freq67
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by freq67 »

WOW!! Something creative and interesting that didn't require "barrowing" someones elses design!! Kudos to you and your awesome design!! 8) :D

Bebopcat
Information
Completed builds: Craig Anderton Frequency Booster
Fuzz Pedal
Marshall Style Distortion Pedal
Multistage TS style Overdrive

Post by Bebopcat »

That sounds insane! I've built three relatively normal dirt boxes so I think I might give this one a go! It would work well in this weird experimental jam band that I play in.
Thanks! Eric

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

freq67 wrote:WOW!! Something creative and interesting that didn't require "barrowing" someones elses design!! Kudos to you and your awesome design!! 8) :D

aha… but i wonder how long it will be before some intrepid ‘entrepreneur’ finds this layout elsewhere and decides to tweak a couple of insignificant resistor values, swaps a trim for a pot, drops it into a ‘handpainted in sunny california’ tin, and then starts flogging them on ebay for a little less than a middle-east ransom?

then turns up on fsb’s doorstep six months later with a cease-and-desist lawyer and starts crying into their beer that fsb is ruining their business by actually telling anyone about it.

months or years? anyone in for a bet?

“The simplistic style is partly explained by the fact that its editors, having to meet a publishing deadline, copied the information off the back of a pack of breakfast cereal, hastily embroidering it with a few footnotes in order to avoid prosecution under the incomprehensibly tortuous Galactic copyright laws. It is interesting to note that a later and wilier editor sent the book backwards in time through a temporal warp and then successfully sued the breakfast cereal company for infringement of the same laws.”

(from douglas adams ‘the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy’, 1978).

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

tabbycat wrote:
freq67 wrote:WOW!! Something creative and interesting that didn't require "barrowing" someones elses design!! Kudos to you and your awesome design!! 8) :D

aha… but i wonder how long it will be before some intrepid ‘entrepreneur’ finds this layout elsewhere and decides to tweak a couple of insignificant resistor values, swaps a trim for a pot, drops it into a ‘handpainted in sunny california’ tin, and then starts flogging them on ebay for a little less than a middle-east ransom?

then turns up on fsb’s doorstep six months later with a cease-and-desist lawyer and starts crying into their beer that fsb is ruining their business by actually telling anyone about it.

months or years? anyone in for a bet?

“The simplistic style is partly explained by the fact that its editors, having to meet a publishing deadline, copied the information off the back of a pack of breakfast cereal, hastily embroidering it with a few footnotes in order to avoid prosecution under the incomprehensibly tortuous Galactic copyright laws. It is interesting to note that a later and wilier editor sent the book backwards in time through a temporal warp and then successfully sued the breakfast cereal company for infringement of the same laws.”

(from douglas adams ‘the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy’, 1978).

Lol......I know just what you mean, I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of thing happens alot in the FX pedal industry...... :lol:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Okay....my build is working.....and now it's time for me to put on my best and evilest grin....Mwahahahaahhhhhh!!!!!!....... :twisted:

This has to be the sickest fuzz pedal i've ever built, and I love it....... :thumbsup

For those trying to source 4046 ICs, if you can't buy any CD4046, the HCF4046 IC will, and does work perfectly in this circuit...... :thumbsup

Freppo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Freppo »

:D

I'm glad you it! :thumbsup

/ Freppo

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

the things you get in kinder eggs nowadays...
kinder surprise raygun fuzz kit.jpg
have never seen (let alone installed) one of these freakout '3 pole 4 position' switches before. has anyone who has built this beastie got a gutshot to illuminate how i should approach wiring this switch?
have searched here for '3 pole 4 way' and '3 pole 4 position' and nothing of consequence. went into the webs and found something that looked promising chez beavis:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/

though it isn't illustrated (only one and two pole diagrams) am guessing mine would be called a 'three pole twelve position rotary'. three poles in the middle (a,b,c) and twelve outer pins (1-12). am presuming a, b, c, connect with three dedicated outer pins each.

at this point i get confused... i think i'm either a visual learner or stupid.

can anyone suggest how this might look when connected properly? many thanks indeedy.

tabbycat.[/color]

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

If you remove the nut, there is a slip-ring with a tab that can be rotated and dropped into one of a series of indentations around the shaft. Set it so the rotary is limited to four positions (i.e. three clicks) and use your multimeter continuity tester to identify the connections: Use one pole e.g. A as the common (sw zero on the vero) - it will connect to each of four of the outer pins (probably 1-4) with each click.