LPB-1 based Drive pedal - starting from scratch

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
leftysquire
Information

Post by leftysquire »

Going to try my hand at building a pedal after realizing that modding an existing design for what I want will be as hard.

I want to use existing circuits as my building blocks to simplify. The schematic will get posted tonight, looking for any wisdom before ordering parts.

Here goes:
LPB-1 with a Madbean Lavache boost mod switch on the Emitter resistor (large bypass cap), feeding a modified BMP tone stack to boost some mids around 250 Hz and some top end (AMZ Presence control, version 2), then going into my clipping section (diodes - symmetrical or asymmetrical, not sure yet) with a treble cap in parallel going into a output volume control.

Sound crazy?

My goal is to thicken up my Tele bridge pickup before the dirt and have the clean to dirt available from my guitar volume knob. I play with a very bright clean tone from a Vox Pathfinder 10 (bass on 6-7, Treble on 4-5, fast track T in bridge of MIM standard tele with ashtray bridge and brass saddles). No other pedals used.

cheers,

Lefty 'Squire

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

You should probably put the clipping diodes before the tone control
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

leftysquire
Information

Post by leftysquire »

Too ambitious to breadboard for a 1st timer?
Attachments
Telectra_Dirt v0_1_reduced.jpg

leftysquire
Information

Post by leftysquire »

My idea is to preshape the sound with eq before distorting it and the tweaking the treble once clipping is done. Good idea?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

You'll probably want a second tone control after it then, because the clipping will create alot of harmonics that weren't there before and while the tone control before it may affect how it distorts, the sound of the clipping itself will probably dominate. Also the signal loss from the tone control will probably result in a less intense clipping that what would be happening if it were before the tone control - which is maybe what you want?

By all means, put it on a breadboard and start fooling around with it... your ears will tell you what you like more than anything else.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran