Bass/Mids/Treble boost

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
stole59
Information

Post by stole59 »

Hello guys. I have a question.
I wanted to make AMZ Mosfet Booster
http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm
and add switchable bass/treble/mid boost. Can it be done in this circuit and how?
I wanted something in this style

Thanks in advance

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Not that easy: It would probably require another gain stage and a three band tonestack, but with the pots replaced with fixed resistors. The switch would then add or remove fixed resistors to replicate bass/mid/treble boost settings of the pots. There is a three band baxandall tonestack that can give bass/mid/treble boost, but I wonder whether you might as well leave the pots in pplace: No more effort, and you could control exactly how much extra bass/mid/treble you want, or have any combination thereof, e.g. scooped boost, or treble+mid boost.

Something like this:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165 ... /3band.gif

The first opamp isn't strictly necessary, you could just use the 1u cap to connect directly from the output of the boost circui, OR put the whole lot in front of the boost.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

stole59
Information

Post by stole59 »

Oh, that seems to complicate design/schematic/pcb too much. I really want to know how these guys did it, I don't think they had that much space for active tone control and another gain stage in that small box :lol:
Btw that active tone control looks really interesting for implementation in Jfet OD type circuit :D .

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Easily done with smd in a tiny box
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

stole59
Information

Post by stole59 »

Yeah, you are right. I never thought of smd

garcho
Information

Post by garcho »

SMT isn't that hard to solder, either. the DIY hive is scared, and i understand why, but it really is the future, regardless of ebay and the internet and DIY forums and OEM NOS et al.

i like to use a james/bax stack and use a dual gang pot. when you "turn the bass up" you're also "turning the treble down". it's a very useful knob, if you tune it so high-noon is more or less un-attenuated signal. adds depth within the guts of the pedal but saves 2D space by combing two pots into one. i guess that doesn't address your mid boost, though.

keep in mind, EQ usually is subtractive in nature, even when it's active EQ. The "active" part of active EQ is basically just a boost after filtering (i know i'm over-simplifying). EQ, by and large, shunts certain frequencies to ground, preventing them from being amplified, meaning you're loosing signal to ground before it gets to your amp. so just about any but the simplest EQ solution you come up with will require a "recovery stage" if you want "boost".
...and weird on top!