Looper grounds

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
Sharpegaz
Information

Post by Sharpegaz »

Hi,

I am building up a looper pedal but want to be sure what I connect the grounds to, it's a six way looper, do I connect the jacks and 3pdt to the case or do I need th isolate them? I am going to be using the schematic below also, can anyone see any issues with that and also the best way to ground,I am only using a power supply no battery. thanks for any help in advance
Attachments
image.jpg

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

This is sometimes a hot button topic with DIY (and commercial) designs. In general, it's best to tie to the chassis in a star, with each circuit block coming to it. If your jacks are isolated (only plastic touches chassis) you can tie any of those to grounds to chassis at one point, like a bus with one ground point.

Now, the other part of your question: do you need to tie ground to the chassis for a switcher? Probably not.

Fender3D
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Fender3D »

jwpartain1 wrote:Now, the other part of your question: do you need to tie ground to the chassis for a switcher? Probably not.
If the chassis is made of plastic,
otherwise why miss the opportunity of a Faraday box?