May someone take a look at my Fuzz Face Mod schematic?

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.

May someone take a look at my Fuzz Face Mod schematic?

Postby Mr. Lime » 23 Mar 2016, 14:18

I would like to build a Fuzz Face with a pair of 2n5088 transistors and had the idea of adding some clipping diodes.
That's what I came up with, diodes for hardclipping and softclipping. It was inspired by Jack Orman's Muffer and Aron Nelson's Lava Rim 2.
Cap values and blend pot were taken from Lovepedal Fuzzmaster.

Is this circuit going to work properly? :hmmm:
Fuzz Face Mod.png

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. Lime

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: May someone take a look at my Fuzz Face Mod schematic?

Postby grrrunge » 23 Mar 2016, 20:17

It'll probably work. The circuit seems rather crude, but then again - most pedal circuits are.
I say: Breadboard the sucker, and see what happens ;)
If you're in the electronics game for the long run, learn LTspice. 5 minutes worth of simulations will tell you if it works or not...
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk
grrrunge
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 207 times

Postby EBRAddict » 23 Mar 2016, 22:19

It'll have a lower volume than a FF with those final clipping diodes engaged, but otherwise if your DC biasing works it should do what you intend.
EBRAddict

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby mirosol » 24 Mar 2016, 10:15

Perhaps you could try to add a volume recovery stage ala LPB after the current volume control? And maybe keep the clippers fixed.. If breadboarded, you could also try to remove other of the two diodes at latter transistor - for sort of like bazzfuss/fuzz face hybrid.
+m
mirosol
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 358 times

Postby Mr. Lime » 24 Mar 2016, 15:24

Thanks for the suggestions!

Well actually I'm not a big fuzz fun (e.g. bazz fuss) but a fuzz face could probably work for me. I think most of the time the diodes will be in the off position so there won't be a need for another gain stage and I quite like the idea of switchable distortion/overdrive modes..
I would like to keep the circuit as simple as possible, so no tone control to ground and no extra stages. I thought about bootstrapping the transistor but I think that would mean to ditch the 100k feedback resistor and work on the first stage emitter.
Maybe this would go to far but I will definitely try a mosfet as Q2 which should deliver even more gain.
My guess is I have to try some of AMZ's clipping options with different thresholds to hear what works best anyway.

I have to try the same diode mods with the AMZ mosfet booster which I'd like to build parallel as I find the Lovepedal COT type of pedals pretty pleasing.
Softclipping beside big muffs on trannys is quite uncommon..
Mr. Lime

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to DIY Stompbox designs