THE OPAMPs WAR differences between different types of opamps

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Hello guys,

I've made a little experiment that was focused on differences between different types of opamps in TS808 like overdrive pedals.
The experiment was focused on:

- Harmonic content
- THD
- Freq. response

Here you have the clip with the experiment, along with some screen shoots - i will answer any questions that you might have and also i will participate in any discussions you like on this subject.
I will not pull any conclusions my self ... but you can post yours
All the necessary info is posted in the video description

RED - 4558 / PURPLE - MC1458 / YELLOW(BLUE) - NE5532 / BLUE(YELLOW) - TL072 / YELLOW -LM358

Image Image Image

Image Image

Regards,
DeX

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

So there's practically no measurable difference between opamp type in a TS circuit whatsoever :) Reminds me of Pink Jimi Photon's video a few years back where he stated "an opamp is an opamp". I've always felt a bit sceptical about those guys who claim they can hear a difference between a 4558 and a 1458. Or better yet, between an old 4558 and a new 4558.

Could it be that some other circuit would manifest the differences between different types in a more visible or audible way? Could some other VRef bias point (other than dead half of supply) provide different results?

I think your experiment pretty much proves that the opamp type itself doesn't matter nearly as much as the circuit design around it. If the circuit around the opamp stays fixed and the design uses the opamp as it is supposed to be used - then the type of chip should have no audible effect.

This is only how i interpret the screenshots. Not an iron solid conclusion.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi Dex,

Nice job !!

But the five chips you tested are operationals intended for general use.

Perhaps you can test REAL audio oriented opamps like the AD712, AD8066, OPA2134, LM833 and similar variety, to see what measurements you can obtain.

Cheers,
Jose

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Thank you brother, but i would like to ask you when was the last time that you use AD712, AD8066, OPA2134, LM833 in a TS808 build when the original chip was 4558 and everyone is crazy about it.
This video was not made to show differences between high-end opamps or instrumentation/high precision opamps but differences (if there are any) between the opamps that are used in pedals that was the purpose of it.
So yes differences are ... but IMHO there is nothing that can justify spending 500USD on a TS808 that has a "vintage" 4558 inside.

Best regards,
DeX
ppluis0 wrote:Hi Dex,

Nice job !!

But the five chips you tested are operationals intended for general use.

Perhaps you can test REAL audio oriented opamps like the AD712, AD8066, OPA2134, LM833 and similar variety, to see what measurements you can obtain.

Cheers,
Jose

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

I'd like to see the response on impulse signals. Not on continuous level signals.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Do you have a tool for that or ... do you have a test scenario in mind? But i doubt that for 13V/uS (for a TL072) and a 3MHz unity gain ... would make any difference in KHz domain :)
But as far as i know this is how audio equipment is tested in terms of ... quality and performance. We can do that never the less if you have a certain scenario in mind.

Regards,
DeX
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:I'd like to see the response on impulse signals. Not on continuous level signals.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

DarkRain wrote:...there is nothing that can justify spending 500USD on a TS808 that has a "vintage" 4558 inside.
AGREE !!!

But... I ask about AD712 or OPA2134 due the rumours that one of these models are used in the Hermida Zendrive. I`ts another TS derivative but reported to have a different quality.

Perhaps the excercise to test some Hi Fi opamps reveals something interesting.

Cheers,
Jose

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

I think i would have to buy them ... as i don't have them on stock...
ppluis0 wrote:
DarkRain wrote:...there is nothing that can justify spending 500USD on a TS808 that has a "vintage" 4558 inside.
AGREE !!!

But... I ask about AD712 or OPA2134 due the rumours that one of these models are used in the Hermida Zendrive. I`ts another TS derivative but reported to have a different quality.

Perhaps the excercise to test some Hi Fi opamps reveals something interesting.

Cheers,
Jose

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Years ago, I did much the same test, but also tried impulse response and also some more "exotic" op-amps.

The original reason that the 4558 was chosen for the Tubescreamer is that it was the cheapest dual op-amp available. In quantity, you could get them for a cent or two! They turned out to be a lucky choice - they're reasonably quiet, and they recover from overload nicely. By comparison, the TL072 showed HF ringing effects on the burst tests - this could probably account for the "different" sound of that type of device. The LF353 was even worse in this respect.

The NE5532 and the LM833 performed pretty much as well as the 4558, except with a slightly lower noise floor and with a slightly "spikier" recovery from overload.

If the "golden-eared gear polishers" can hear differences between types of op-amp, they're probably deluding themselves. They all insist that only the "genuine" JRC 4558 has "that" sound. My measurments showed that to be complete nonsense - various samples of 4558, 1458, and even 747s gave virtually identical results. If some golden-eared loon will pay me $850 for one "genuine" JRC 4558, then I'm happy to take his money. These are the gullible idiots who believe in "directional" cables and that painting the edges of their CDs green will improve their "sound"!

I have a large box full of JRC 4558 chips with late '70s date codes - I plan to release these on to the market over the next year or two in very small quantities - they should keep me in beer for a good while!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi Dex,

I don't understand well the english when someone speak me, so I not catch in your video how you arrange the circuit to test those different models of ic's

Did you use the original ts schematic including the couple of back to back diodes in the first stage ?

In that case your measurements are more dependant of the distortion caused by these two diodes than due the internal structure of the opamps under test. IMHO :roll:

Keep us posted about your work.

Cheers,
Jose

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

I am willing to be totally wrong, but a couple of those seem to have be slightly different quality in the midrange
one a little more muddy or full and another more clear , a few no difference that I could tell,
It is important when things are different the order in which you listen can influence how you hear the differences
on anything and going back & forth just gets tiring and boring!

I don't mind a little placebo Voodoo If I'm not getting ripped off for it, in this case none of the i.c.'s seemed to have a preferable quality
so I wouldn't bother paying more for one than another, but would consider the recommendation of a trusted source [ buddy who used something he liked ]
And I'd use whatever I had

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

@ppluis0 - yes is the original TS808 schematic with NO modifications added. Just a pure and simple TS808 - and yes that was what i was always said: the diodes will clip way before the opamp will (and yes there is way way more difference if you are going to use different diodes)

@mictester - you are a wealthy man :D a box full of JRC will keep you a steady income for a verrry long time :D

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

DarkRain wrote:--the original TS808 schematic with NO modifications added.--

--that was what i was always said: the diodes will clip way before the opamp will--

--there is way way more difference if you are going to use different diodes--
That is obviously a big part of it. I would say that it is particularly some of the other circuit elements in combination with the chosen diodes that will also mostly or completely mask what is actually attributed to the op amp.

The 1N4148-type diode will begin to conduct with a forward voltage that's a little over 600mV. While I'm too tired to get to the bottom of it, research seemed to indicate that 808s had MA150-types, which have a forward voltage of closer to 1000mV.

While some may beg to differ, my own experiments have lead me to believe that even 700mV is potentially too low for what might amount to "the best soft clipping sounds" when used in a negative feedback loop configuration. There is also the phenomenon of having a unity-gain unclipped signal mixed in, and diodes that conduct sooner end up creating harmonics that seem to be buzzier.

The Zendrive was mentioned - it uses a combination of diodes in series that will give you forward voltages that are probably around 1100mV and 1400mV. There have also been reports that different opamps in that pedal will produce results that are a little more audible.

It could be that part of the reason we usually don't determine differences that are relevant to our own uses is because diode choice or substitution seems to be a sort of random thing, with pedals like the Zendrive being more of the exception to the rule. Popular diode combinations will typically fall either below or above the resultant forward voltages in the Zendrive, especially with almost all LEDs starting at 1800mV, and moving up from there.

Most likely, the other predominant reason that the opamp clipping is masked in the 808 has to do with its highpass and lowpass filter corner frequencies. When you are aggressively removing everything above and below 720hz at 6db per octave slope, the opamp isn't taxed with reproducing any true bass frequencies, and much of the harmonics are rolled off before the signal even reaches the tone circuit.

Again, using the Zendrive simply as an example, the voice control provides a means to alter the highpass filter corner frequency. The opamp's clipping characteristics might not be so masked when that corner frequency drops a bit below 720hz, and it probably gets to be more significant the lower you go. Since the Zendrive doesn't have a fixed lowpass filter on its output, but instead has a simple variable first order lowpass type, you can set it to remove little to no high frequency content.

I think that the Tubescreamer in original form is probably a poor choice for purposes of opamp clipping as is relevant to what a guitarist might find to be either overtly noticeable, or potentially pleasing. The Zendrive probably represents a much better foundation, but I think some things could even be made a little more generic for test purposes. I think that the voice control could basically be hardwired with a lower highpass filter corner frequency than a Tubescreamer, and some combination of diodes that conduct at some range between 1000mV to maybe upwards of 1600mV would be better choices. The Zendrive also has a simple unity gain opamp stage after the tone circuit, which is actually good - the tone circuit can work properly, and opamp clipping will be limited to IC1a.

I don't think that any tests done with all clipping diodes removed, and any frequency filtering removed, would prove to be significant for our purposes. But the Tubescreamer/808 is kind of at the other end of the spectrum as far as not really providing any helpful results, either. There needs to be a targeted attempt to get at the bits of the spectrum somewhere in between. The good news is that a very simple overdrive pedal design will probably suffice quite well.

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Thank you MoonWatcher for you post and as i inted to agree with you i would have to tell you that this test was made specifically for 808 - in other topology the differences between opamps might get into the equation. But i was talking strictly about 808 and derivations.

Regards,
DeX

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

DarkRain wrote:But i was talking strictly about 808 and derivations.

Regards,
DeX
Greatest appreciations, DeX, but I implore you - please - this MUST be taken further! If not now, then soon!

Whilst that I appreciate what you've done WRT the 808/derivations, we all sort of deserve onwards and upwards of all things beyond the 808. No pressure (truly), but this seems as if it's a barrier that we've been up against for a good while now.

Cheers Dex, truly indeed...

Emu2
Information

Post by Emu2 »

I am left quite unconvinced by the testing described in this thread. First of all, I have a TS-9 and have tried different opamps in it using a guitar as the signal source, and as most non-golden ear people who have actually tried this, I heard obvious differences. So, I watched most of the video you posted and it looks like you were using a 1kHz test tone for the harmonic distortion testing. Also, looked like there was a fair amount of 50Hz power supply noise and it's harmonics present which suggests not very careful test conditions. Anyway, since in the real world opamps do sound different in a TS-808 type circuit, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your test results are reasonably accurate. In that case, if opamps sound different it must be because factors you didn't measure. Like intermodulation distortion for example. In a real guitar when you play intervals such as power cords, any device that produces harmonic distortion will also produce intermodulation distortion. Also, the input signal level in constantly varying, and in that case opamp non-linearites may become much more evident. For another example, some older FET input opamps can invert the signal as a function of input voltage in non-inverting input topologies. In addition, would I expect with variable level dual tone tests that visually observable differences in opamp waveshaping will probably even be evident on an oscilloscope. Such test conditions would be much closer to what would be expected with a guitar as the input source.

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

@Emu2
- That AC "noise" as you can see was way under a relevant value.
- Usually THD is tested @ 1KHz in industry if i'm not mistaken ...
- Again i was talking about TS808 ... can you please tell me what influence can have an opamp that is using diodes in the FBK path that will clip at a max. of 0.7V...i do think that you would in the end listen to the sounds of diodes

In the end i do invite to have your own tests and post them here for general knowledge, i really did not try to convince you or anyone about anything. I was just posting my personal opinion regarding an idea.
I do think that are way more important things in the sound chain that will change the sound then an opamp :) but again... i don't have them golden ears that everyone is talking about.

Regards
Gabriel "DeXTeR" Tudoran

Emu2
Information

Post by Emu2 »

Regarding THD measurements at 1kHz, that may be where chip manufacturers normally measure it, but that's not the most relevant frequency for a guitar distortion circuit. In the case of chip manufacturers, they tend to measure what is easy for them on a fast production line and what makes for good specsmanship, not always necessarily what is most useful for the circuit designer.

Regarding the effects of diodes, yes, you make a good point if the distortion drive is turned up all the way so that sin waves coming in end up as very fast rise time square waves. However, some players prefer less extreme distortion and turn down the drive or guitar volume so that the diodes are just starting to clip. In that case, rise times are slower and more of the original analog signal is preserved. And in that case you can hear the difference between opamps. I suppose at the other extreme you could use comparitors with hysteresis instead of opamps to get the fastest possible rise times and most complete squaring off of the input signal.

Actually, I have looked at distortion circuits on a scope with FFT and I see about what you see, if you turn the drive way up then you get a lot of high order harmonics that sounds pretty trashy. Still, that sound is used for some styles of music. If you turn down the drive enough, the higher order harmonics drop off and you end up with sine waves with a only little of the peaks clipped off by the diodes. For some styles of music, that type of operation of the effect box sounds better. And in that case, different opamps sound very different.

It is also possible to add crossover distortion, or for the opamp to produce it, that occurs around zero crossing, well below the diode clipping threshold. And if you do that you will find that it is very hearable up to the point you obscure it with a very fast rise time.

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

@Emu2 - all what you said is correct, but as you might see in the video ... the gain (and actually all the controls) were at 12oclock ... i can't do tests for all the positions of the pots because ... i would end up very very very old....so ...i do guess it's quite a decent test environment at least to make quite an accurate idea about what is happening.

Regards,
DeX

Emu2
Information

Post by Emu2 »

Yes, I noticed that about the gain pots. However, turning up the input signal has a similar effect to turning up the gain in the sense that more diode clipping is produced. I'm not sure what input signal level you used, but it can very a lot for actual guitars. And, of course it can very during playing guitar depending on how hard the strings are plucked, hammered, etc., and how many strings are being played at once. Certainly, I intentionally alter all those things when I am playing so that any distortion I may be using is dynamic and constantly changing. Otherwise the guitar tone tends to get boring before too long. And even then, stomp boxes still need to be stomped now and then to get even more varied sounds. So, I am still rather skeptical that static tests could provide adequate test information to inform guitar players about opamp choices. Again, my primary motivation in writing something in this thread was because in my experience opamp choices do make a difference and I would not like to see guitar players dissuaded from trying different opamps if they are inclined towards experimenting with that.