Guitar Cable Tester

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.

Guitar Cable Tester

Postby Ripdivot » 27 Oct 2016, 20:34

I recently purchased a programmable looper for my pedal board. This means I had to assemble about 22 patch cables and I wanted to make sure they all worked properly before I installed them. I decided to build a cable tester for the fun of it. This tester can capture very quick open and short circuits in the cable. It is very easy to build. All you need is a plastic enclosure (you can you a metal enclosure but you will need isolated jacks), a couple TRS jacks 1/4", a 9 volt battery and a very easy to build circuit. The tester turns on when you insert a plug into J1 (just like a pedal). The operation of the tester is on the schematic. I hope this is a useful tool for some of you. This tester is for 1/4" unbalanced mono jacks only as I wanted it to be very simple. You can test other unbalanced cables with adapters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author Ripdivot has received thanks: 4
287m (28 Oct 2016, 15:40), deltafred (28 Oct 2016, 09:06), Manfred (27 Oct 2016, 23:23), swt (03 Nov 2016, 22:05)
Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 57 times

Return to DIY Stompbox designs