Anderton Tremolo Question

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
Jim9guitars
Information

Post by Jim9guitars »

I've been browsing around for a while here, lots of great info and I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm working from this schematic I found online with no other info, but it does have all of the vital details on it(resistor and capacitor values etc..). I managed to get all the parts via a mix of local shops and mail order but so far I'm only getting a working volume pot, no tremolo. I did have to sub a 4558 op amp but carefully followed the bracketed pin numbers provided and compared them to the internal diagram for this chip. I haven't seen anything about this circuit anywhere so maybe I just wasted my time but as I undertake the process of carefully scrutinizing every connection and orientation I would appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge of this effect. Thanks in advance.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

The pinout numbers for 5532 and 4558 look very confusing so find the spec sheet for those to make sure you have it right.
Those opamps conform to the standard so not hard to find the pinout with a search. :wink:
Phil.

Jim9guitars
Information

Post by Jim9guitars »

phatt wrote:The pinout numbers for 5532 and 4558 look very confusing so find the spec sheet for those to make sure you have it right.
Those opamps conform to the standard so not hard to find the pinout with a search. :wink:
Phil.

Thanks for the reply, I did have some trouble deciphering those pin numbers so I googled images of the 4558. That made it clearer, later today I'm going to pull the circuit board out and go over it connection by connection. It doesn't take much for one mistake to creep in and that I have a working volume control gives me hope. One other thing I need to verify first off will be the diode connections of the CLM6000, I might very well have them reversed.

Jim9guitars
Information

Post by Jim9guitars »

Update. Upon reviewing all of my connections on the circuit board and doing some closer research on the CLM6000 I discovered I had the anode and cathode mixed up and one resistor connection that didn't get soldered. It now works but is not all that dynamic. The overall volume is a little low as well which may be because of the 4558 substitution(I couldn't find a supplier that had 4739's). I'm a little disappointed but not really surprised. I was a bit unsure of this one because there seems to be no other reference to it anywhere online. I've had a copy of Craig Andertons "Electronic Projects For Musicians" since the early 80's and successfully built a lot of the projects from it. I still use the Tube Sound Fuzz I made in the 80's, although I did have to replace the electrolytic capacitors last year. It was cutting out when I adjusted the volume, after replacing the pot it was still doing it but the new caps took care of it.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

If you want more level out, increase the value of the 4k7 around the second op-amp. Try the next value up (5k1 or 5k6) or even fit a 10k preset there, so you can adjust the level to taste!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"