J201 Source Drain Replacement

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

Hello
For a long time I was collecting various layouts on J201. Now I decided to create a full-fledged effect. When designing, I noticed that I was not creating layouts correctly, I did not properly look at the datasheet and collected layouts, mixing the drain and the source.
I checked that when I replaced the correct position, the sound did not change and the bias did not move.
I heard that it is possible to replace the source and drain.
Is this correct and the circuit will work correctly or will this change affect stability and durability?
Are you interested in J201 in the datasheets have information? I did not find.

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

Apparently for small signal JFETs, you can swap the source and drain. But then, there's no reason to do so as long as you can identify the legs according to the manufacturer's datasheet.

More here:
https://www.electronicspoint.com/thread ... ped.11853/

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

The datasheets for some small signal surface mount FETs say that the source and drain are interchangeable.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012