Anyone built the "Brown Betty" from pedalPCB ?

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
Ross T
Information

Post by Ross T »

I have built the Brown Betty from Pedal PCB http://www.pedalpcb.com/product/brownbetty/ The only variance from the parts list i used was a 4001 protection diode instead of the called for 1N5817.

I understood (per the website) that this is supposed to be "Inspired by the Friedman BE-OD and Dirty Shirley" and basically a BE-OD with a mid control. It seems to be much lower distortion/clipping than the "Thermionic Distortion" from Pedalpcb.com which is the Friedman BE-OD clone.

Has anyone built this pedal?

I was really hoping this was going to be just like the BE-OD clone but with a mid control, but it's clipping put it in much more of a Tube Screamer ballpark.

Ross T
Information

Post by Ross T »

I figured it out. I used a 4n7 for C7 instead of the called for 47n. I guess we've all done it. Anyway if you like the bedal but it has too much gain they lowering this cap like I did by accident.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Ross T wrote:I figured it out. I used a 4n7 for C7 instead of the called for 47n. I guess we've all done it. Anyway if you like the bedal but it has too much gain they lowering this cap like I did by accident.
Good to hear you have got it working correctly.

Yes we've all done it. I used to work with an old guy who said that if you never make any mistakes it is because you never do anything.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012