Mammoth DustBowl/Nuclear Winter Distortion

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Shango
Information

Post by Shango »

Hi folks,

I've been lurking this forum for quite a while, benefiting from all the awesome work everyone here does. I'm completely self-taught so I'm way behind most of you in terms of understanding the nuances of electrical engineering and audio engineering. I'm not worthy!

The first kit I bought as a fledgling pedal builder way back when was a Mammoth kit (at the time they called it the DustBowl Distortion, now it's called the Nuclear Winter). I never quite got it to work, sounded like a misbiased transistor. A few months ago I had a free weekend and traced the circuit in an attempt to finally fix the damn thing. As far as I know (I don't pretend to have every pedal schematic memorized) it's an original design, albeit nothing as unique as a Klon.

Here's the caveat. I like Mammoth Electronics, I don't want to cut into their business. So I'm polling the community... is posting the schematic crossing a line? Is anyone interested in this enough to care?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

They didn't invent the wheel... Post it

Shango
Information

Post by Shango »

Here it is... like I said, no rocket science here. But I don't recognize this specific config as a direct clone of anything in particular...
DustBowl/Nuclear Winter Schematic
DustBowl/Nuclear Winter Schematic
Note: Clipping diodes are 1N270, and I neglected to include the indicator LED.

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

One remark: the MPSA18 isn't a darlington (like some of the other MPSAxx), it's a standard bipolar transistor.

Shango
Information

Post by Shango »

marshmellow wrote:One remark: the MPSA18 isn't a darlington (like some of the other MPSAxx), it's a standard bipolar transistor.
Good to know!