Power suppy question

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
oczad
Information

Post by oczad »

I have a 3 pedal board that i supply power to via a single wall art with plenty of current. I have tried several good supplies for this and all have created various noise issues. What i finally did that quieted it completely is to add filer nodes to each supply consisting of a series resistor and cap configured the same as in a tube amp. My question is about the values. I used what i had just to give it a shot but now that i know it works i will build a small box for all the filer nodes and the question is what values would you suggest? At the moment to test it i used what i had..... 100uf and 1.5k resistors. Works fine but i want to change them anyways due to the size of the caps. I know all i need is probably 16v, but what uf and R values would you suggest? Thanks.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

I think the usual values of R between 47 up to 100 R would be ok ,,at 1k you are going to lower the supply voltage which may cause issues with Digital stuff but dirt circuits might still work ok.
If it works then stay with what you have.
Phil.

oczad
Information

Post by oczad »

Thanks. They were 1.5k, not 1k. But i lowered them to 1k and theres about 1v loss when the PSU is NOT under load, usually 12v now 11. Both pedals work fine but a 3rd will be added once it arrives and is there are no issues i'll leave it. Otherwise i lower to 100R and see how that does.