MOSFET for reverse polarity protection

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

Hello everybody.
Once again I decided to take an interest in protection from reverse polarity.
In classic pedals we have 2 popular protection options.
1) 1N4001 at which we lose tension
2) 1N4148 which works like a kamikaze
Both options are popular, but have the disadvantages described above.
Tell me more about the p-channel mosfet.
I understand correctly that it does not burn like 1N4148 and does not make voltage drop like 1N4001?
There are many variants of these transistors, what characteristics should I look at?

I looked at the Walrus boards and saw the components in the body of the sot-223.
Other elements capable of protecting the circuitry I did not see on the board.
What do you think - is this a mosfet?
If so, I have 2 questions:
1) What are the variants of schemes?
2) What parameters are important for a transistor?

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Read here first: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/m ... switch.htm

You want low Rds_on and need to watch the current/max power dissipation specs. The power can be calculated with the Rds and the current drawn by the effect. Although in reality this is probably only of theoretical interest considering how little current the usual DIY builds require. The on-resistance and the current also determine how much voltage is dropped across the FET.

I've been using THIS ONE for years. It's small, cheap and won't have any problems with pretty much all effects (are there digital effects that draw more than half an amp? I don't know).

Some possible throughhole parts (Rds_on from bigger to smaller, price inversely):
- VP2106
- VP0106
- IRF9014

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

marshmellow wrote:Read here first: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/m ... switch.htm

You want low Rds_on and need to watch the current/max power dissipation specs. The power can be calculated with the Rds and the current drawn by the effect. Although in reality this is probably only of theoretical interest considering how little current the usual DIY builds require. The on-resistance and the current also determine how much voltage is dropped across the FET.

I've been using THIS ONE for years. It's small, cheap and won't have any problems with pretty much all effects (are there digital effects that draw more than half an amp? I don't know).

Some possible throughhole parts (Rds_on from bigger to smaller, price inversely):
- VP2106
- VP0106
- IRF9014

Thank you! IRLML5103 is available in my country and the price is really attractive.

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

I read the article, but I'm not sure, except for Rds you have to look at other characteristics?
For example volts and amperes or something else?

The Internet offers various variations of the scheme, in the article geofex it is said only about the addition of a resistor between the ground and the gate.