'designing' a FET based wah..

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
nezek
Information

Post by nezek »

i want to try making a new wah..
after modding crybabies and eventually building my own clyde mccoy ( i really like this one)
i figured the transistors do have quite an effect on the tone.
so i want to make a fet-based wah, since fet's generally sound better to me than other Si trannsistors..
any idea on how to alter the good-ol' vox wah circuit to do that..?
there's the schem

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Seems sensible, but doesn't the wah circuit required some rather low gain transistors, which is not what you could get from fets. But I'm just freewheeling here, maybe some 2N5457s and changing the baising resistors...

by all means, experiment.
modman
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

I would just drop in BS170s (or even just for Q1) without changing anything else at first. If it's too fuzzy I would start by increasing the emitter resistor on Q1. If it doesn't sound good after that, you might want to look into biasing it more correctly for FETs.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

nezek
Information

Post by nezek »

cool.. gonna make another clyde clone with sockets and go with it..
i'll keep u informed :)

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi,

Well, you'd need something like gain in the range of 50 times for the input stage so you might want to try a MOS Fet or a composite J-Fet.

You might have to isolate the DC working point but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Indeed wha's especially with high resonance overload easily and then there would be a valid point of looking into overload caracteristics.

Have fun
BJ

wake01
Information

Post by wake01 »

Can't remember where I found this, but it might be what you're looking for:
Attachments
WauWau.jpg

nezek
Information

Post by nezek »

wow.. thanks for the replies.
sorry I didn't post for a while, had stuff going on and didn't have time to mess around with it.
I'll give it a go next month though :)

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

I think that wah part is not fet based ,only input buffer with 2sk30 (double???)

boris

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

The paralleled JFETs are not just acting as an input buffer, notice the feedback going into the gate. Interesting.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.