DIEFET: Jfet simulation of the Diezel VH4

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

Silly question....how about doing the reverse engineering from Fets to tubes now that theres a working soundalike?
Aharon

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Aharon wrote:Silly question....how about doing the reverse engineering from Fets to tubes now that theres a working soundalike?
Aharon
That would be an endevor! I am not even sure where the first person that created the Diefet got the schematic? I have not been able to find a diezel VH4 schematic for nothin!!! I built this thing and I wasn't overly impressed with it... sounded good but the dynamics were not there... plus all the knobs :slap: And the charge-pump voltage-doubler to run @ 18v seems silly to me, why not just get an 18v used laptop power supply or walwart or something and be done with it? I think I would rather reverse engineer the AMT D2 pedal if anything!

mensur
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mensur »

J0K3RX wrote:
Aharon wrote:Silly question....how about doing the reverse engineering from Fets to tubes now that theres a working soundalike?
Aharon
That would be an endevor! I am not even sure where the first person that created the Diefet got the schematic? I have not been able to find a diezel VH4 schematic for nothin!!! I built this thing and I wasn't overly impressed with it... sounded good but the dynamics were not there... plus all the knobs :slap: And the charge-pump voltage-doubler to run @ 18v seems silly to me, why not just get an 18v used laptop power supply or walwart or something and be done with it? I think I would rather reverse engineer the AMT D2 pedal if anything!
I've got these from Peter himself, BUT...
Diezel VH4.pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 297 times

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

mensur wrote:
J0K3RX wrote:
Aharon
I've got these from Peter himself, BUT...
Diezel VH4.pdf
Thanks lol... :scratch: Lota guessing :hmmm:

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

J0K3RX wrote:
Aharon

I was impressed with it and was going to build one 'till I heard the BFUltra........Maybe it had to do with the way the samples were recorded but.....
I might give it a whirl but it's #2 now in my list.
Aharon

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

ebuprofen wrote:finally got time to make the images, but it is not very comfortable to read the BOM to see what component to use
No problem for the BM.
Also I´m made mine too, based on yours; please man I wana know the value of these in the red circle; or it´s a jumper???

Thanks a LOT it´s amazing yor layout, it´s my taste too, all in the PCB; I made mine with no cable!!

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

This is based on EBU_PRO layout idea, its a layout all in one no cables!!!
Take a look EBU and let me know what you think; in this days a 3D simulated for these; thanks for your ideas; are great.

The POTS have to be solded in the solder side, the 3pdt and the status LED too!!!

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

I think it's amazing.
DOes it include the gate?
Are you posting the PCB ?
Thanks
Aharon :applause:

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Aharon wrote:I think it's amazing.
DOes it include the gate?
Are you posting the PCB ?
Thanks
Aharon :applause:
It´s based in the EBU_PRO layout with the pots on it!!! I don´t now is it the gate, I have some dudes for a detail in the original layout, I´m waiting a anwser of EBU_PRO for that!!!!!!!!! and post the PCB for all!!!

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

Thanks man.
The Noise gate is what JOK3RX and mansur have been working on.
Great work,no wires,no mess.
Aharon :popcorn:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Aharon wrote:Thanks man.
The Noise gate is what JOK3RX and mansur have been working on.
Great work,no wires,no mess.
Aharon :popcorn:
I believe the noise gate could be added to this as a mod very easily...

Fantastic layout!!! Post the PCB transfer damn-it! :applause:

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

The NoiseGate add-on board is posted on the BlackForest thread....could be used here too as JOK3RX sugested.
Probably placed in the same sort of spot as in the BF.
Aharon

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Aharon wrote:The NoiseGate add-on board is posted on the BlackForest thread....could be used here too as JOK3RX sugested.
Probably placed in the same sort of spot as in the BF.
Aharon
YUP! :mrgreen:

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Thanks to the layout posted by EBU_PRO I made some modificatrions moving the iN & OUT, THE 3PDT and status LED, Flapping the pots and reordered some rest & condensers and there is a New Word Order FX (NWO-FX) its great; all in the components side; must be trade for it; NOT VERIFIED!!! OK:

some EAGLE eye pliss IT SOME ERROR LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the following 4 or 6 hours I post a simulated 3D layout for this, dammed it real fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Take it easy!!! I came a few hours with more; here is a preview 3D of this:

It´s amazing!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

This is my last attemp to do 3D; I don´t know it some errors!! but the layout I made have to seem this way; some greenes for there cuze in PERÚ it´s values in mylar, the rest in multilayers; the electro´s condensers are normal; the pots are ranurated axis & large legs; I have to put a PCB for that; take a look:

It´s not VERIFIED!!!!!!!

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

askwho69 - can you post them a little larger? I can see the writing on the pics you posted... :|

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

askwho69 wrote:http://techniguitare.com/forum/realisat ... t7386.html check out their site :D
:lol:
Yeah thanks, but I saw that one a long time ago. I thought maybe this was a new version... Not a big fan of the large board, high parts count and the sound. It doesn't sound very much like a Diezel to me...? I would like to know how they got that layout without a schematic from the VH4? I have a schematic from the VH4 but with all of the values missing :roll: But, just from looking at it I can tell the Diefet is not like it! So, the hunt for the elusive Diezel VH4 continues, for me anyway!

From the sound demos it is safe to say that the AMT D2 is the only one to actually replicate "the Diezel tone" so far and very well I might add! Maybe someday somebody will get one and open it up so we can feast on its guts? :twisted:

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

About the sound of the Diefet compared to a Diezel:

If I remember correctly they sampled the sound of a Diezel multiple times, made a frequency analysis, and modified the circuit of the Diefet until the spectrum matched adequately.

So it is really a"scientific" way of emulating the sound. I am not saying it sounds like a Diezel since I cannot confirm it, but made crazy efforts for the circuit to match the Diezel tone.

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

There is no schematic available for the Diezel. This is why the members of the french forum had to analyze the tone spectrum and modify an initial circuit until it matches. The initial circuit they used was the Rectifet, which was their previous attempt to emulate a Mesa Rectifier.

By the way the Rectifet was developed and finalized before the Dr Boogie ever existed, it just never got as popular as the later (but it sounds just as good).