Boner Factory: SHO + Fuzz Fact.

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
codenoise
Information

Post by codenoise »

apologies in advance if this has been brought up elsewhere, but would it be worthwhile to build a combination super hard-on / fuzz factory pedal with a few extra modifications? is the idea doomed to malfunction? is having them in two different enclosures just as effective? i probably only want to do it so i can call it the "boner factory". :lol:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Welcome,

No need to apologize before you said anything at all - and not even after.

You should really experiment. If you have the circuits available try putting them in series (guitar -> SHO -> FF -> amp). If you have any fuzz pedal or any booster around, hook them up.

Remember the FF is already like a Ge Fuzz Face with a silicon booster in front...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

codenoise
Information

Post by codenoise »

I got a little worried when my post went missing. Wasn't sure where to put it since it's modding existing circuits (kinda reminds me of another two schematics :mrgreen: )

Thanks for the memory jog, I have some more ideas kicking around now.

codenoise
Information

Post by codenoise »

Here's the basic idea as it stands after stewing in my novice brain for a while:

Take the Super Hard-On shown https://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3331/zenercyz0.png, and swap out the 5.1k resistor with a 5k pot to be the Stab control. Also change the 10Ms to 1M to make it more like the Landgraff clone.

Then remove the silicon booster from the Fuzz Factory schematic and insert the modified SHO in it's place. (The separation point is between the second transistor and the capacitor that comes before it right?) Finally I'll do a few of the capacitor mods mentioned http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/ind ... pic=5251.0 to beef up the Fuzz section plus a few other mods mentioned in the FF thread. For transistors I think I'll go with 2N404A instead of AC128.

In the end it probably won't resemble either of it's parents that much, and I'll probably mess up something, but that's what makes it the Boner Factory (unless I'm starting to wander into another pedal i'm unaware of)

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i've found the SHO "mates" well with many circuits. (insert rimshot here)

there is a reason Mr. Vex puts it in every one of his effects!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

id be worried about oscillation on all settings, since the factory oscillates on most already, and is already over the top with gain.

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

I've done this, unmodded. Nice wee pedal. The foot switches are close enough together that they can be switched at the same time, but still able to be switched by themselves. The oscillation isnt any worse than the FF by itself.

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

what did you do? sho into fuzz face or sho replacing first gain stage

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

super hard on and fuzz factory in series. unmodified.

edit: they have separate footswitches to switch them on and off, ie. the pedals separate, in a single box.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

I would think that the SHO would sound good AFTER the FF.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Replacing the boost section of the factory with an SHO might have interesting effects with the input impedance of the fuzz circuit, depending on the setting on the SHO side. Since the SHO is partially a sag circuit then you should eliminate the sag part from the factory circuit, I think.

You should at least build it since you thought of a killer name for it.

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

shouldnt the SHO give the FF more bass with the impedance?

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

I think that the FF already has lots of bass due to the corner frequency of both highpass filters involved in it.

Increasing dramatically its input impedance shall make it a full bandwidth fuzz, but with an increased definition... That's only my opinion (I should check on the real thing).
Patafix... so sticky

allforone7
Information

Post by allforone7 »

...a little off topic, but every time I'm having a cruddy day and I read the title to this post, I begin to laugh immediately. Boner Factory...very creative codenoise!

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

patafix wrote:I think that the FF already has lots of bass due to the corner frequency of both highpass filters involved in it.

Increasing dramatically its input impedance shall make it a full bandwidth fuzz, but with an increased definition... That's only my opinion (I should check on the real thing).
I've never heard the fuzz factory being referred to as having "lots of bass" before. the fuzz factory is inherently thin sounding and one needs to change the input cap to 22uF and the output cap to 47uF to get a decent sound out of this pedal. otherwise it sound like you have treble on your amp way up and the bass way down. You can also put a small cap like .003uF across collector and base of Q3 to reduce fizziness/thinness as well. After these simple mods it doesn't sound too bad.

To the OP, I would replace the stock fuzz factory boost at the beginning of the circuit with a SHO.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.