Pictures - recent & ongoing builds

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
call1800ksmyazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by call1800ksmyazz »

Argh is right.

And AG/Jay, I honestly dont know why you would have seen guts to any of my pedals on forums. If you really did, please show me the link, I would love to see it.

And I havent designed any new circuits recently? Just cause I havent gotten to putting them up on my site, I have...

Theres something I just did for a recording artist in Belgium. 2-in-1 pedal of my Vintage Boost and my newest design, the Spectrum. Next to it is a simple, matching Rangemaster clone.

And by the way, if you truly dont believe I have or am capable of designing anything, I designed and built a nice amp this summer. No, its not even close to a copy of any other amps. Its a 6U8 preamp (pentode/triode preamp, you should know that), with a 6V6 or 6EZ5 in the power amp. Its a great clean amp and gets some nice tones when cranked. Want some videos? Here: https://www.youtube.com/user/call1800ksmyazz Please, check out all of my videos so I can show you im a smart, capable person who has completed some nice designs and builds. The stuff on there isnt even close to all the stuff I have built/sell.

Heres a picture of that amp, the VF-10:

And heres a picture of it pre-transformer wiring and before cleaning up the wiring, of course:

Final word from me... I dont think this thread should be deleted, but possibly closed if need be. This is an ethics thread and I think everyone should be able to view this.

Kerry
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz on 17 Aug 2007, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Hey Kerry, great stuff! Where did you get that cool box for the VF-10? Links?

-Vanessa

call1800ksmyazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Thanks Vanessa! The chassis is just a plain, grey Hammond chassis. And then the top steel cage is also the matching Hammond one. They can be found on http://www.tubesandmore.com (a GREAT site for amplifier parts if you have never ordered from there). I have spent many hundreds on parts from them :D

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Those are great! I found another from Hammond that's a rack mount that I've also been looking into for guitar amp builds. Check out this photo and tell me if that would be cool? You just mount them into 3, or 4 unit rack boxes. Swap out amps on a per gig basis?

call1800ksmyazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Yea looks pretty cool! Hammond also makes the matching bottom cover for the chassis. What it looks like they did there was they got a slightly larger bottom cover plate to act as the front panel.

A suggestion for you would to build yourself a power amp for the output tubes and the output transformer. Maybe even put a power transformer on there with connections to connect it to the preamp for powering the plates of the preamp tubes with the PT high voltage B+ tap.

Then, you will be able to build a bunch of different preamps and just swap em out with eachother using the same poweramp for each.

Thats really what I want to do, build a seperate power amp for myself so I can build a bunch of different preamps to tweak each easily and to try out a bunch of preamps.

Dont know if you have ever built an amp but let me warn you, its extremely addicting (much more than pedals), and much, much more expensive and extensive then pedals. Plus the dangers of the high voltage. While building that VF-10 amp, I accidently touched the power plug while plugged in, and got hit with 120v. This was after I blew the power breaker for my electronics room and took it into the other room to make sure the amp was all ok. :lol:

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

The one thing that's cool about those rack units is you can mount them into a head or a combo or even a large rack mount unit for studio use. Those boxes are about $40 (and all steel).

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hi Vanessa - is that a LA-2A clone I see there?
bajaman

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

bajaman wrote:Hi Vanessa - is that a LA-2A clone I see there?
bajaman
I think one of them is. This is another big hobby of mine. Maybe more than stompboxes, pro-audio. Mics, preamps, compressors, you name it, I love it.

This site gives you layouts for some vintage high end gear clones. All point to point, (yeah baby!).

http://www.recproaudio.com/index.htm

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Thanks for the link Vanessa. I used to be way into recording gear too, but I've gotten kinda burned-out on the whole recording scene... I had a bunch of gear stolen from me a few years back & it kinda spoiled me on the whole thing; kinda screwed up everything for me and led to me making alot of poor choices about other actions since.... but I still find it interesting and I might get back into serious recording some day.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

soulsonic wrote:Thanks for the link Vanessa. I used to be way into recording gear too, but I've gotten kinda burned-out on the whole recording scene... I had a bunch of gear stolen from me a few years back & it kinda spoiled me on the whole thing; kinda screwed up everything for me and led to me making alot of poor choices about other actions since.... but I still find it interesting and I might get back into serious recording some day.
No prob Soul, yeah the only thing that keeps me from amassing a WWIII arsenal of pro-audio clones are the transformers and the tubes. I just dropped about $300 on rare Telefunken tubes for a preamp that I'm building and I'm looking at about another $450-500 in custom wound (and a stock Hammond) transformers... Ugh! All will be at home in one of these vintage type Hammond rack units.

:D

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

ever seen the diy mics from scott helmke??

I bought one and it sounds really nice... I might try and make one myself.

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

Kerry posted some clips of his vf-10 at ax84 and it sounded pretty good. He got some help with the preamp compression control but it was openly acknowledged and on the up & up. IMO he did a nice job.

dave_b
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dave_b »

theblackman wrote:ever seen the diy mics from scott helmke??
I bought one and it sounds really nice... I might try and make one myself.
Is it the Alice? I've had the parts to build one for several months. It's the machining that's got me procrastinating.

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

yeah, the alice! it's a great mic, i can't believe that it can make my voice sound good, I always sounded so whiny through an sm57.

call1800ksmyazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

DougH wrote:Kerry posted some clips of his vf-10 at ax84 and it sounded pretty good. He got some help with the preamp compression control but it was openly acknowledged and on the up & up. IMO he did a nice job.
Thanks Doug! :D

Yea I used Zoe/Iain's Compression control because Zaphod Phil recommended me to try it out, and of course Zoe/Iain were fine with me using it. Its a pretty cool control.

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

DougH wrote:Kerry posted some clips of his vf-10 at ax84 and it sounded pretty good. He got some help with the preamp compression control but it was openly acknowledged and on the up & up. IMO he did a nice job.
I'd just like to extend a friendly welcome to you DougH, Long time no talk but, it's nice to have ya here. :)
Join together with the "Banned"!

call1800ksmyazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Yea, forgot to welcome you here. Definately great to have you, Doug. Your one of my first inspirations for doing this DIY stuff :D

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Me too DougH :D
Have always been a fan of your projects - built the Highway 89 - great unit
:wink: Cheers
bajaman