Not quite YATS...

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Inspired by the info on synchronous rectifiers. If I'm imagining this correctly, the "gain" ought to go from less than one, up through "screamerland," and beyond into comparator/square wave fuzz territory... On second thought maybe that voltage divider ought to go higher than Vref. Some experimenting is needed.

Basically you have voltage control over the antiparallel MOSFET channel resistance.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

is it possible to do something like this in a hard clipping format?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

Are you sure the Mosfet is used as a variable diode?
I think it is now a variable resistor which means that it only controls the gain factor, not the clipping.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

RnFR wrote:is it possible to do something like this in a hard clipping format?
Depends on what you mean by "hard clipping." If you mean diodes to ground, no. Not easily anyway.
If you mean diodes in the feedback loop of an inverting amplifier, like the Big Muff, yes. Just put the (+) input to Vref and put the (-) input to signal instead of ground.
floris wrote:Are you sure the Mosfet is used as a variable diode?
I think it is now a variable resistor which means that it only controls the gain factor, not the clipping.
You caught me. They are indeed wired as variable resistors. But there's also the body diode in each FET that gives you the clipping. So the FETs take the place of the diodes and the gain resistor. When they're turned on fully, it's basically a unity gain amplifier, and the body diodes are effectively shorted. When they fully off, it's effectively at diode-limited open-loop gain.

I just thought it would be cooler to call it variable diodes. :roll:
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

They are indeed wired as variable resistors. But there's also the body diode in each FET that gives you the clipping. So the FETs take the place of the diodes and the gain resistor. When they're turned on fully, it's basically a unity gain amplifier, and the body diodes are effectively shorted. When they fully off, it's effectively at diode-limited open-loop gain.
I thought that the gate had to be connected to the drain or to the source of the FET to be able to use it as a diode.
Connecting the gate to the source lets you use the FET's "intrinsic body diode" which acts like a regular silicon diode (so I'm told).
Did you try it?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information

In this configuration, I think the body diodes are active anytime the signal going through them is higher than 0.7V, assuming the channel resistance is high enough.

The gate-source clipping can't be used here unless you rearrange things or add blocking diodes.

I still haven't tried it. Shame on me! :oops:

Anyway here's an alternate version I think would work similarly: