Doug Hammond - Meteor

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
mz77
Information

Post by mz77 »

DougH wrote:Nope. I quite worrying about it last March.
In that case, would you mind posting your Meteor schematic? Or someone else? I've wanted to build the full 5-knob version for awhile now, but I can't find the schematic, and general guitar gadgets hasn't been selling the PCBs as far as I can tell.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hey mz77 - you forgot the "p" word ------- please :wink: :)

mz77
Information

Post by mz77 »

bajaman wrote:Hey mz77 - you forgot the "p" word ------- please :wink: :)
Alright. Would someone please post the original Meteor schematic?

KT66
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by KT66 »

mz77 wrote:
bajaman wrote:Hey mz77 - you forgot the "p" word ------- please :wink: :)
Alright. Would someone please post the original Meteor schematic?
i have the meteor schem - does this forum have a gallery to upload pics to?

kt!

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

hi kt - use photobucket :wink:
bajaman

RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

mz77
Information

Post by mz77 »

I actually have that one. But I was under the impression that Doug's original design had tone stack pots. Maybe I'm wrong? I appreciate the effort though.

RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

You are right!
http://web.archive.org/web/200404191139 ... meteor.gif Nothing is ever gone from the internet :wink:

The Wayback Machine is awesome! http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
I have found it a bit trying sometimes to find a link to an old page but once you got it...

BTW here are JC's comments on the mods in the other schematic.

"... got the Meteor happening tonite ! ... I built it using Ceramic caps and J201's - it sounds awesome !

... here are my tweaks:

I found the tone stack didn't do much for me so I replaced it by a 0.001uF cap going into a 250k gain control (little less hummy at 50%) still with 47pf brightness cap ... the 0.001uF signal cap is perfect as a replacement, very crisp - no bottom flab ...

... the recommended trimpot values wouldn't tune drain voltages low enough with my devices so I used 100k trim pots throughout ...

... other minor changes include the ellimination of C11 (220uF) which brought in a little too much noise and not that much more distortion ... to me the circuit doesn't really need it with the higher drain resistors that I used ... I made C6 (220uF) switcheable for leads/rhythm - it has just the right amount of boost and overdrive increase combination for this ... also, the output pot was replaced by series connected 220k resistor and 25k pot for a less hot output and lower Zout ...

... with the C6 bypass cap switched in I get into that nice feedback zone of your mp3 clip ... the output filtering network sounds really cool too, it does a perfect job - I don't see no real need for tone control ... plus I like that residual ring in there - it's nice on a Strat with the bridge and middle pu's together for that ballsy Lynyrd Skynyrd sound ...

Thanx for a great circuit Doug !

cheers

jc
"

mz77
Information

Post by mz77 »

Thank you. This looks like an interesting circuit. I've done some reading about it over at Aron's forum and it seems very highly regarded. I'm definitely going to breadboard this and try the suggested mods.

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

:shock:

A BLAST from the PAST!
I remember that one!
Join together with the "Banned"!

koulis
Information

Post by koulis »

One of my favorite overdrives :D
Thanks Doug...

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

this message was intended for the highway....

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

There are a lot of improvements that could be made to the Meteor. For one, the 220u source bypass cap is completely over the top. I'm not sure how useful the tone control really is. Would probably benefit from a variable LPF on the output instead. Etc.

Tweak away...

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

DougH wrote:There are a lot of improvements that could be made to the Meteor. For one, the 220u source bypass cap is completely over the top. I'm not sure how useful the tone control really is. Would probably benefit from a variable LPF on the output instead. Etc.

Tweak away...
+1

also...socket the fets and swap till you like the sound...the usual variety will work fine (j201, mpf201, 2n5457, etc, etc)

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

DougH wrote:There are a lot of improvements that could be made to the Meteor. For one, the 220u source bypass cap is completely over the top. I'm not sure how useful the tone control really is. Would probably benefit from a variable LPF on the output instead. Etc.

Tweak away...
Just my opinion, but I always liked the 3band stack on the tail end, for example, before J5. Did you give that a try?
bw

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

Give it a try, it might sound good.

I've gotten away from doing the 3-band thing in pedals. I like the whole thing voiced for cutting through a mix and getting good sustain/feedback/bloom, then a way to control the highs for different kinds of amps/brightness and I'm happy.

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

indyguitarist wrote:

Tweak away...
Just my opinion, but I always liked the 3band stack on the tail end, for example, before J5. Did you give that a try?
bw
YES ...
Doug based Meteor on the Express ....so expect it to perform, work like the Express. This is not really a high gain (why does every freaking pedal has to be ...sheeessh) so having the tone stack before or after does NOT make a HUGE apparent effect except for the bass compression.

The Dr.booogey or the SLO wannabe circuits are way too noisy due to 'milking' way too much.
Keep it decent and play loud.
Meteor was my first build and i still love it !!
"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it saved the mice, who ate the cheese."

ODwan
Information

Post by ODwan »

Hi!
I built the Meteor some years ago and liked it very much! It actually got me into building an actual Trainwreck Express amp. That is some serious tonemonster!
Timo

ODwan
Information

Post by ODwan »

I modded it to resemble the actual veryfied Express schem. Sounds even better that way! You can find that and some great knowledgeable guys at

ODwan
Information

Post by ODwan »

This forum won't let me post links and attachments so I have two posts to go!