4 hum-cancelling positions for 3 single coils

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

My goal was to get all 4 hum-cancelling combinations in a Strat copy, while remaining (importantly) very easy to use live. Here's what I came up with:

The four combinations are (left-right switch positions):
neck/mid series
neck/mid parallel
mid/bridge parallel
mid/bridge series

I'll probably make this with a rotary switch, because Futurlec has both 2P5T and 3P4T for $1 apiece. If I had lots of extra cash I'd rather use a blade switch but I can't find cheap ones with the requisite number of poles and throws.

...interestingly, you can swap the position of the ground and output terminals and it still works, but left-right is reversed.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Looks very interesting, thank you for sharing ! I don't think I've ever heard the middle pickup in series with the bridge or the neck pickup on a Strat, does it still quack ?
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Series connection does not really "quack" at least by my interpretation of the term.

I haven't done the mod yet so all I have to go by are the relatively few audio samples I could find online:

Best series/parallel audio sample, this one brought to my attention by someone on TGP:
http://www.harryj.net/strat_VV.htm (Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page under the heading "parallel, then series")

Best series/parallel demo I've found on Youtube:

Good description, mediocre audio:

Good presentation, but no direct comparison between series/parallel:
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

would the 4-way tele style switch give you the right poles/contacts?
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information

Yes, as long as it's a true DP4T.

I just found this thread which points out that a coil connected at only one end is an antenna. I should have remembered that! To avoid antenna-induced noise, I will alter my diagram so that the GND and output leads are swapped. That way the antennas will be transmitting their noise to ground, where it's not such a big deal.

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

earthtonesaudio wrote: I haven't done the mod yet...
[smilie=bump.gif] Is it in yer guitar yet? And How do ya like it?
I've done a similar mod to a tele, and I DO like the series connection.
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information

GuitarlCarl wrote: Is it in yer guitar yet?
Haha, I'm nowhere near that stage yet. The guitar I have planned for this doesn't even have a neck yet... and I have been thinking of building that part myself, so the wiring is in the distant future.

Glad to hear you like the series connection on your Tele!

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

I ditched the 3 pickup setup in my trusty 1999 MIM strat, middle pickup was never too useful for me. I have a fat strat pickguard loaded with GFS Mean 90's and a tele 3 way switch wired for neck, neck bridge parallel, bridge, but I also have a DPDT toggle that puts the neck and bridge in series. Bet of both worlds IMO, I have a less muddy more growl neck, chimey quacky parallel setting, ballsy bridge with fatter bottom and strong midgrange, and in series it is awesome for leads especially with a rangemaster.
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Nice. I'm building a HSS tele right now, the controls are already wired using two stacked pots and a three way. Uses a blender for the middle pup, allows all three on at once, or neck and bridge... here's the schemo.

and the control plate wired...
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

That tele setup looks great! I forgot to mention that I have another DPDT for the tone cap with a sprague bumblebee 0.022uf on one side and a EROMAK 10nF on the other. switched to the 10nf I can get some cool gretschy tones with the bridge pu and tone control rolled back about 1/4 from max. I have found alot of veratility with the two tone caps. The switch is an on/on, in retrospect I wish I would have put in an on/off/on so I could have a "raw" setting that takes the tone cap out altogether, I can get the switch that is in there now to sit right in the middle sometimes and everything gets REALLY bright and punchy.
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH