Adding "pick attack" to existing schematic?

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
MPUMarko
Information

Post by MPUMarko »

Hello all,
what I'm trying to do is add "pick attack" (some kind of upper frequency boost if I understood correctly) from this schematic

to this preamp.

How would you do ti? Is it possible?

Thanks,
Marko

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Your easiest bet would be to add a second RC network in parallel with R3/C3. Small r, small c.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Hi Marko,
Here is how I do it;

play around with the values (R3 1k) but watch out it can get peaky if you overdo it. :blackeye
Attachments
PhAbb Tone System
PhAbb Tone System

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

just wanted to point out that a peak somewhere from 3kHz-5kHz would be advisable. unless you are going for that soldano-ish "chawk chawk" tone. that would be anywhere from 800-1.6k it's the sound "guy" comin out in me.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

LOL, yeah, but I don't think you'd want an electric bass to sound that way :mrgreen:
Pick attack is a feature on Wal basses.

Hi Marko, it's been a while since I've seen that Wal schematic, keen on trying it out, three FETs, nice.
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

seele
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by seele »

Kind of a late reply^^...but maybe i can help though...
I did a "Wal"ish bass preamp some months ago for a single pickup Precision Bass. Basically it's just a parallel signal split after the first buffer. One side goes through a basic state variable filter used as a variable lowpass and the other side goes through a bandpass filter tuned to approx. 3kHz. Both signals then go into a mixer. To get the best results you would need to use more gain for the bandpass side (since you want a boost at that frequency) and put an extra switch into the BP signal path to turn it on and off. When you also want the +10dB boost at the SFV's resonance frequency you should make the resonance resistor switchable. But keep in mind that more resonance results in more overall gain at the SVF, so you would need to also switch the gain resistor at the mixing stage.
For a bass with two pickups you could easily hook up a second SVF and mix the two of them. For a pick attack it would suffice to use only one of the two pickups' signals for the bandpass.

nunomaio
Information

Post by nunomaio »

I have built this project as well.I have two questions.
Since I have left the final P-4=10k volume pot out, should the signal go straight out, or should there be a 10k pull down resistor to ground on the out?
Also, the idea of adding the pick attack is a nice idea and I have a question regarding the idea earthtonesaudio suggested.
So, If I added a parallel c3/r3 and then pull it out towards the Out of the circuit with a switch where would it be the best place to put it; after the last stage of the opamp or right after r9 going into ICD?