HSS Wiring Help!!!

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
Stratocaster-Sam
Information

Post by Stratocaster-Sam »

Hi there,

First post on this forum. Well done guys, you've got an absolute gold mine of different topics on here that I never thought existed (just ordered my parts to make a G2...Fingers crossed)

I need your help. I've got a guitar just come in and the chap has asked me to re-wire it with new pot's switches etc... It's been bodged up by someone and the wires are all over the place, some attached some not. I've stripped the wiring out, and I've now got to start a fresh. But I have no idea how to wire it. it's a HSS strat copy with a tone, volume and 3 toggle switches to select whether or not each pickup is on. I was wondering if anyone knew of a wiring diagram, showing how to wire this. I just can't get my head around it...

Thanks in advance!

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

It should be wired like this: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... S_1v_1t_5w, but instead of the 5-way switch, each pickup goes to each switch. Im going to assume that there are only 2 lugs on the switches. The pickups go to one lug and then wire the other lug to the volume pot, just as the 5-way switch is wired in the diagram. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. I wont be around a computer for a while, but someone else might be able to help you along.

Stratocaster-Sam
Information

Ofcourse...How did I not figure that out. Thanks! the humbucker has 2 signal wires so would it be best to put a dpst switch in for this?

Thanks for sending me that link, Got it saved.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

About 20 years ago I wired a Strat with 3 mini toggle switches.

I used a DPDT centre off for each pup so I could reverse the phase of each. It was ok but had lots of combinations that did not sound particularly good. It was not suitable for live work as it required too much thought and switch fiddling. I think I only gigged it once, it seemed like a good idea when I planned it.

Another drawback with using separate switches is that with them all in the "off" position you have muted the output, not good in a live situation.

IMO, IME, YMMV etc.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Stratocaster-Sam wrote:Ofcourse...How did I not figure that out. Thanks! the humbucker has 2 signal wires so would it be best to put a dpst switch in for this?
How many wires are coming off the humbucker total? The one in the diagram has 4 + a ground, so 5 total. If it has 2 total, then wire it just like the single coils. If it has 4 + ground, it needs to be wired like he diagram (except the color of wires used means different things for different brands. What brand / model is your pickup? Googling that pickup might help. In most cases (all that I can think of) you will only need a spst switch if all you want is on and off for the pickup.

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

skylark44 wrote:This should help...http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/f ... s_1v1t.pdf :wink: . :mrgreen:
And if your switches have 2 or 3 lugs instead of 6, then ignore the right hand side of each switch in the diagram. :)

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

+1...Yep :wink: . :mrgreen:

Stratocaster-Sam
Information

Brilliant, exactly what I was looking for! Parts are all ordered, will let you know if there are any problems. Thanks everyone for your input!

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

No problem...and if you use an on/off/on, for the humbucker...you'll be able to have a coil-cut as well (for a single coil, in the bridge too :wink: ). :mrgreen: