P90 pot/cap values?

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Just picked up a Gibson Les Paul Studio Gold Top (60's Tribute) with P90 pickups. Wondering what the consensus is for cap/pot values?

Gibson equips these with B300K volume pots and A500K tone pots. The previous owner upgraded the caps to 0.027uF Sprague Vitamin Q (spendy), and it appears to have 50's wiring - unsure if that was stock or if the previous owner did that.

I changed the B300K vol pots for A500K (Allparts) vol pots and definitely like the results. More clarity and definition. I bought some Sprague Orange Drops 0.015uF and plan on experimenting but would anyone like to weigh in on this matter?

“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I have a 1969 SG Special with P90s, will those values be the same, I can soon pull the cover off and have a look.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

If you want slightly different tones, from each pickup...then keep the 0.027 "Vitamin-Q" cap, for the neck pickup (and a "warmer" tone)...and use the .015 "Orange Drop" cap for the Bridge pickup (for a brighter tone). Also, the 500k volume pots will give you more volume, gain, and frequency response (from any pickup), compared to the the stock 300k pots...but using an "A"- pot, versus a "B" pot will give you a slightly different pot sweep (not much, but you might notice a slightly different "roll-off", when turning it up or down). Otherwise, for a more "mellow" tone on the neck pickup...just use the 300k, and the 500k for the bridge. I hope this helps. :mrgreen:

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: I build and sell my own :)

Post by kleuck »

My preferred configuration is : 1M log for the volume pot (with 500pf silver mica/500K treble bleed), 500K log for the tone, 15nf PIO cap.
Powerful, bright, juicy.
Randall Aïken said :
Q: Is there any advantage to using solder with a 2% silver content?
A: Yes. Silver solder keeps werewolves away from your amp.