Problem with push/pull wiring

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
silverknight
Information

Post by silverknight »

I bought 2 Slash's Alnico II pro and I want to put on my Les Paul 2 push/pull volume pots so my problem is the conection because the wiring needs red and white cable, but my pickups are single-conductor, so what should i do? there is another kind of conection that allows use push/pull pots with that kind of pickups?. (Sorry about my english, usually I speak spanish)

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

What functions do you want the p/p pots to perform? (coil-cut, reverse phase, etc.)...if you can let me know what you're trying to use them for, than I can tell you how to wire them up :wink: . :mrgreen:

silverknight
Information

Post by silverknight »

Thanks for the answer. I just want to use it as coil cut.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

silverknight wrote:I want to put on my Les Paul 2 push/pull volume pots [...] but my pickups are single-conductor, so what should i do?
This is not possible without modification of the pickups.

You may open the pickups (unsolder metal cover if any, remove tape on coils, be carful not to damage the coils) and find the small wire that connects both coils together. Without cutting it, remove a bit of insulation and solder a wire there. Wrap in tape, reassemble the pickup, and wire a switch between the new wire and ground. This will short one coil when activated.

This is not an easy mod, there is a risk of damaging the pickup.
But it's possible if you're careful, I did it without problem on my SG.
I only give negative feedback.

silverknight
Information

Post by silverknight »

Thanks Jim :thumbsup , I saw the same procedure that you explained me but I don't have the experience and the money to buy another pickups if I kill it :( . Besides I'm from Chile and I bought it on ebay because here are very expensive so I'm going to experience when I have more money. :D

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

In the meantime, you may experiment with your push-pull switches. You can use them to wire both pickups in series for a big fat sound, or out-of-phase for thinner sound.
I only give negative feedback.