EMG - AB Afterburner

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I just got one of these because it was pretty cheap and I knew there were folks (at least one) here that are interested in the circuit. I don't have time to trace it out, but I have some pics that may make the process pretty simple. If there are any questions about values then just ask me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. :D
Attachments
2012-07-12_23-28-37_939 cropped.jpg
2012-07-12_23-31-38_240 Cropped.jpg

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

CHEEZOR wrote:I just got one of these because it was pretty cheap and I knew there were folks (at least one) here that are interested in the circuit. I don't have time to trace it out, but I have some pics that may make the process pretty simple. If there are any questions about values then just ask me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. :D
if you can add the component values,thanks a lot,i'd like to make a comparison with other boosters i have.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I started looking at this circuit a while ago, but I never got around to drawing a schematic. Here is a better quality image: https://img526.imageshack.us/img526/320 ... ropped.jpg
a) All the blue circles mean ground.
b) All the red lines are the traces that cannot be seen in the picture. They might not be correct, but they are as close as I could figure out using my multimeter at the time. Also, there are probably more that I did not find on the other side of the board.
c) The 2 big blobs of solder are the lugs of the push pull switch to turn the effect on or off.
d) I dont know what the values of the unmarked caps are. Im assuming that if we drew out a schematic then the values would become pretty obvious to some here who have experience with boost circuits.
e) The big red "?" is there because those points were connected according to the multimeter, but I did not see how. There are traces on the back side that I could not see though.

I have a parts list somewhere, but I will have to find it. Im pretty sure I wrote down all the values that were written, but you can probably see most of them in that pic. :thumbsup

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I found the list I made.

Parts that are labeled:

Resistors:
1002 = 10K
1004 = 1M
2001 = 2K
4992 = 49.9K
4993 = 499K

Caps:
2.2uF
1.0uF

Op amp text (as best as I can read):
Line 1: OP191G
Line 2: #0809
Line 3: M3930

I think the part name is the first line since that is the google search which brings up the most Op Amp related results. The other parts are unmarked. The pot is probably marked and Im assuming that is 25K like all the other EMG pots, but I would have to double check to be sure and I dont know where I put the damn thing at the moment.

I just ran across this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15541 which is probably very similar. Doesn't look exact (just from the number of caps), but probably still close.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

CHEEZOR wrote:I found the list I made.

Parts that are labeled:

Resistors:
1002 = 10K
1004 = 1M
2001 = 2K
4992 = 49.9K
4993 = 499K

Caps:
2.2uF
1.0uF

Op amp text (as best as I can read):
Line 1: OP191G
Line 2: #0809
Line 3: M3930

I think the part name is the first line since that is the google search which brings up the most Op Amp related results. The other parts are unmarked. The pot is probably marked and Im assuming that is 25K like all the other EMG pots, but I would have to double check to be sure and I dont know where I put the damn thing at the moment.

I just ran across this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15541 which is probably very similar. Doesn't look exact (just from the number of caps), but probably still close.
thank you,very kind,you did a great job.
yes it looks very similar to PA2,this one is made with a single opamp,PA2 is double,one with buffer and one boost with pot,and the switch deviates the signal from the 2 sides.
AB does the buffer with switch,bypassing the pot,i guess its a 500k.
also,one side of the pot should go to pin 2 not 3,first cap in input should be 100nF.
i don't think its really necessary to draw a new schem or layout for this,it should be enough to change some values to the PA2 in that thread,anyway,PA2 is more guitar oriented,AB is good also for a bass,that's what i see in the circuits.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I just wanted to confirm that my Afterburner pot says 25k.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

CHEEZOR wrote:I just wanted to confirm that my Afterburner pot says 25k.
yes,it makes perfect sense.
the resistor on the left should be 2k also.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

askwho69 wrote:Nice one guys, i was looking for this one.. PA2 has white noise on it... they said AB is better that pa2... does anyone agree with that? i schematic is better for comparison :D does anyone write down the schematic? :hmmm:
AB has a lower pot resistance ,that is one reason for being less noisy if possible.

schematic is not difficult to draw,you have the pics and most of the component values,those missing are easily predictable.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

askwho69 wrote:I want to draw the schematics but can you please clarify this one?

I wrote some question if you zoom the picture :D :scratch:

The question mark - the 1M connection to +9 and negative for 4.5 biasing
cap in input to ground could be anything up to 100pF
input cap to pin 3 usually is 100nF,for less low end decrease to 22n or 10n.
cap from +9V to ground should be 0,15uF
gain pot is connected between pins 2 and 6

irek81
Information

Post by irek81 »

Anybody has a proper schematic for afterburner? I do not know how to connect OP191. Anyone did that and it works?

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

irek81 wrote:Anybody has a proper schematic for afterburner? I do not know how to connect OP191. Anyone did that and it works?
in order to read a schematic,you need to be able to understand an opamp amplifier,in this case a non inverting one,with a +20 dB gain,nothing more than your average text book/datasheet application.
Any single opamp will do,if you use a battery a TL061 is ok.

joebot101
Information

Post by joebot101 »

I'm amazed no one has made a kit for this yet...

I have been wanting to make one fo these for aaaages.

I am glad this thread has sprung up, nice one guy XD

Quick question, does anyone have a PCB layout diagram... There are a few on here, but they aren't very clear.

Ideally, something I can just take and use right off.

EG
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mbb_pcb.pdf

Something like that would be great XD

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

joebot101 wrote:I'm amazed no one has made a kit for this yet...

I have been wanting to make one fo these for aaaages.

I am glad this thread has sprung up, nice one guy XD

Quick question, does anyone have a PCB layout diagram... There are a few on here, but they aren't very clear.

Ideally, something I can just take and use right off.

EG
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mbb_pcb.pdf

Something like that would be great XD
i did some homework since this is a basic circuit and could be useful to me also.
this is 32x23 mm

if its clear and ok for your use,i can upload the printable layout,otherwise i can mod it to taste.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Hi alexradium,
I can't see how that pcb could work as pin 1 & 5 are not connected to anything? :scratch:

Also those 1meg voltage dividers for the offset bias are not ideal.
If running from a 9 volt battery then a 10k/10k divider gives half voltage and then 1 meg to +input.
In the case of input on the inverting input you don't need the bias just a cap as the positive input is already DC referenced.
As a rule the positive input of most opamps need a DC path to ground.
Better minds here might explain it better. :block:
If you wish I can draw up a schematic for you to work from. :thumbsup
Phil.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

phatt wrote:Hi alexradium,
I can't see how that pcb could work as pin 1 & 5 are not connected to anything? :scratch:

Also those 1meg voltage dividers for the offset bias are not ideal.
If running from a 9 volt battery then a 10k/10k divider gives half voltage and then 1 meg to +input.
In the case of input on the inverting input you don't need the bias just a cap as the positive input is already DC referenced.
As a rule the positive input of most opamps need a DC path to ground.
Better minds here might explain it better. :block:
If you wish I can draw up a schematic for you to work from. :thumbsup
Phil.
the only errors are that V+ goes to pin7 and signal out is on pin 6,but that is not important now,its already fixed in my layout,i was just asking if its ok in dimensions,type and layout of components,then i can give the layout.
Regarding the schematic,it is correct 1:1 with EMG unit,so any complaint about different design could be redirected to the company.

ManCave666
Information

Post by ManCave666 »

Any schematic for the AB (After Burner) EMG.And yes it´s a 25K pot.