Does Anyone Know The Model Number?

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I've got this Yamaha ERB Bass guitar which I'm working on at the moment, I've replaced the original bridge with a new Gotoh bridge that fitted with no mods, I was just wondering if there's anyone who knows what the model number is?.... :hmmm:

Wiring diagrams and setup specs would be appreciated too..... :thumbsup

Here's a pic of the Bass Guitar:
Attachments
IMG_1541.JPG
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface
Completed builds: Lots of mods to lots of pedals

Post by blackbunny »

Looks like an RBX170, but could be an ERB170? Discontinued a few years ago. Christmas present? :block:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

blackbunny wrote:Looks like an RBX170, but could be an ERB170? Discontinued a few years ago. Christmas present? :block:

Actually no, I got it off a friend of mine who originally gave it to me to fix for him, but he ended up giving it to me after I offered him some money for it, you should have seen the condition it was in when he gave it to me, the original bridge was knackered, rusty and the saddle intonating-screws were all bent-up, I've got it playing pretty well at the moment..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface
Completed builds: Lots of mods to lots of pedals

Post by blackbunny »

Sounds like you got a good score, as good as a Christmas present, perhaps.... made extra special with your time and effort.
DrNomis wrote:Wiring diagrams and setup specs would be appreciated too..... :thumbsup
Controls are (from closest to the neck) front pickup volume, rear pickup volume, and master tone (closest to output jack).

Setup specs? Tune the bass to the tuning you want to use and get the neck fairly straight using the truss rod (.010-.012" neck relief at the 7th fret on the bass side and .008-.010" treble side).
Set the string heights at the 12th fret to suit the player, higher for hitting the strings hard, lower for a player with a soft touch, while fretting strings and listening for rattles and buzzes.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Cheers for that blackbunny, I checked the neck relief and it's way more than .010 to .012 at the 7th fret, it looks to be something like 2mm judging by eye which means I'll have to tighten the truss rod a bit, I've got a set of feeler guages so I'll wait untill morning to straighten the neck, I had the low-E and G-strings fretted at the first and 17th fret when I checked the relief..... :thumbsup

I've got Darco 105 to 50 guage strings on it.... :thumbsup

While I was playing the bass, I noticed that the knob closest to the neck seemed to be controlling the overall volume, like a master volume, the knob in the middle seemed to be acting as a mix or fader between the two pickups (it had a centre detent) and the other knob was the master tone-control.... :hmmm:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I've just been doing some googling, and it looks like I've got a Yamaha ERB Gigmaker Bass guitar, if I'm not mistaken..... :hmmm:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Gigm ... 1448905.gc

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

DrNomis wrote:I've got this Yamaha ERB Bass guitar which I'm working on at the moment, I've replaced the original bridge with a new Gotoh bridge that fitted with no mods, I was just wondering if there's anyone who knows what the model number is?.... :hmmm:

Wiring diagrams and setup specs would be appreciated too..... :thumbsup

Here's a pic of the Bass Guitar:
looks like this
ERB 300.pdf
(144 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Cheers for that rcustoms, I think you're right everything in that pdf manual agrees with what's on the bass guitar I've got..... :thumbsup

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

DrNomis wrote:Cheers for that rcustoms, I think you're right everything in that pdf manual agrees with what's on the bass guitar I've got..... :thumbsup

was a pleasure,Make this yamaha onboard preamp,and See the difference
YAMAHA TMB.pdf
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
happy new year
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

rcustoms wrote:
DrNomis wrote:Cheers for that rcustoms, I think you're right everything in that pdf manual agrees with what's on the bass guitar I've got..... :thumbsup

was a pleasure,Make this yamaha onboard preamp,and See the difference
YAMAHA TMB.pdf
happy new year

That onboard preamp looks interesting, if I can source/find a dual pot that provides independent control for the Bass/Treble, that'll save me having to drill an extra hole in the bass guitar's body..... :thumbsup

I downloaded a copy of the PDF....cheers once again, and happy new year to you too..... :thumbsup