Strat with Super Switch and Push/Pull - 9 Sound Strat

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars

Strat with Super Switch and Push/Pull - 9 Sound Strat

Postby trjones1 » 28 Mar 2013, 03:26

I posted a chromacaster workalike using a six position rotary switch on here a couple years ago which I installed in a couple of my guitars. I never really got used to it. I could never remember the different settings and only really used a few of them anyway. I decided to simplify things by just having a push/pull with the pickup selector to get the series and parallel sounds I wanted. I couldn't find a schematic for what I wanted out there, so I put this together. It uses a Super Switch and push/pull. You get the normal Strat sounds with the pot down, and get four new sounds with the pot up. I haven't actually installed it yet, so if you see any problems please let me know. Should work though.

trjones1

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: Strat with Super Switch and Push/Pull - 9 Sound Strat

Postby GuitarlCarl » 28 Mar 2013, 03:35

Looks good to me.... :blackeye
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...
GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby phatt » 28 Mar 2013, 14:02

I have stock setup, except for one tiny switch which gives me series in bridge position.
That effectively gives me 6 positions to cover humbucker type sounds without the stuffing around trying to find a wizz bang HB that matches my SC's.
Guarantees the pups are well matched and the guitar looks stock.
Any more I'd get confused. :block:
Ed; Oh forgot to add,,,, I hate those push pull switches on control knobs they are to clumsy for fast changes. :evil: :blackeye
phatt
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 251 times

Postby trjones1 » 18 Apr 2013, 05:05

I installed the switching from my first post in my Strat and it works as designed. One of the problems I have with that setup is that only one of the positions is hum-canceling, and I wanted to see if I could up that number.

This is my new design. It has two hum-canceling positions and each position gives you a different sound compared to a stock Strat. I'm going to install this next time I open up my guitar and try it out.

Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 12.12.02 AM.png

This one's a little more complicated and doesn't make as much sense to me intuitively, but I've looked over it a bunch and I think it should work. As always, comments and corrections are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author trjones1 has received thanks:
roseblood11 (01 Jul 2013, 11:56)
trjones1

Postby trjones1 » 01 Jul 2013, 04:34

I finally got around to installing this second version and it's works great. The middle position tone is especially nice. The bridge and middle in series gives a really nice humbucker-ish tone, but the neck and middle in series is way too muddy to use. My next move may be to change position 4 to make it neck+middle in series, parallel with the bridge. All you have to do is connect the unused tab in the Bridge + section to the green wire. This should help with the mud and if it sounds anywhere as nice as the middle position, I think I'll be happy and can stop tweaking.
trjones1

Postby phatt » 03 Jul 2013, 11:37

Ha guitar players are never satisfied,, :lol:

Here is all I did,, Mounted a small toggle switch between Volume and 5 way.
FWIW,, If you have guitar switching too far from obvious then it makes life so much harder to remember the combinations if you have many guitars. :shock:
Phil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phatt
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 251 times

Postby trjones1 » 12 Jul 2013, 01:35

Aww, why go simple when you can be so much harder on yourself?
trjones1

Return to Electric Guitar Rewiring