Jazzmaster mod - separate volume controls, strangle,...,how?

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
Cortex
Information

Post by Cortex »

Hi guys!

Recently I bought a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster which I love but since I am not using the Rhythm circuit much, I am trying to find a way to do some mods to it, the ones that would include pretty much the functionalities depicted in this picture [yep, it's a Jag, but it doesn't matter] =>

I wondered if a similar thing could be done to the Jazzmaster? This is like perfection in my eyes. The jazzmaster would kill with these kind of options.

So, separate set of volume controls, and separate tone control set instead of the Rhythm circuit slider pots [probably I'm gonna need to swap them for 1M sliders right], and the Rhythm circuit switch should serve as some sort of series/parallel/strangle/bass cut/anything interesting/ switch.

So, any diagram depicting this mod but for the Jazz floating around? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you so much guys.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

You can use a Les Paul type wiring layout as an example, the only difference is that that the pots will be in a different place.
Put the strangle switch on the wire that runs from the pickup selector switch to the output jack and you're done.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Here you go, wire the pots like in the top drawing. Then include the switch as illustrated in the second drawing, just with a different pickup selector switch and straight to the output instead of a master volume pot.

I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

p.eat
Information

Post by p.eat »

I'd recommend using the slider switch as a series switch!

trjones1
Information

Post by trjones1 »

p.eat wrote:I'd recommend using the slider switch as a series switch!
Seconded! That's what I did on my Jazzmaster. The Jazzmaster pickups give the best "single coils in series" sound I've heard.

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

Thirded. Having sported a Jag for a while, that strangle switch seems cool until you have to actually find a use for it. Well maybe with a bigger cap it might be a bit more useful, or possibly with an inductor based mid-cut, like a Bill Lawrence Q circuit.