Winding Humbuckers

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I'm a beginner at pickup winding and was building a couple humbuckers over the weekend. There must be some tips for how to work with the magnet wire ends when you are connecting them to hookup wire to go between the coils and also the hot and ground leads. That shit is such a pain in the ass. I must be doing something wrong. lol Any tips for making life easier?

Tall Steve
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: Tonefiend Fiendmaster, Vibro-Champ Amp, Ross Phaser, BB Preamp, ProCo Rat

Post by Tall Steve »

Free your mind...and your ass will follow. - George Clinton

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Thanks! I'll have to try some of those methods. :)

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I tried the method of holding both wires parallel to each other with the coil wire extending a little bit extra and then wrapping that around the hookup wire. Worked like a charm! :)

I also wanted to leave a tip in case anyone else is looking for help. I don't think this method was covered in the above link.

I had a coil start wire that broke with only about an inch of free wire and I easily connected to the hookup wire by soldering the ends together and then rolling the hookup wire to make the coil wire wrap around the end. Then I re-soldered the end to make a good connection. Worked great!