SC coil neck / HB Bridge with coil tap on HB

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
sixxiron
Information

Post by sixxiron »

Newbie first post here and really looking to get the group's feedback. Here is what I am trying to do:

Single coil neck pickup with a humbucker bridge. A three way switch for the pickup selector and a single switch to tap the coil of the humbucker. Single volume pot with no tone pot. Any ideas/schematics on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Brad

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

There are loads of diagrams available at a simple web search.

Here’s a site that offers loads of wiring possibilities - you should find something that suits you http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techwire/diagindx.htm

Good luck.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

sixxiron
Information

Post by sixxiron »

Thank you! I'll check it out
Lucifer wrote:There are loads of diagrams available at a simple web search.

Here’s a site that offers loads of wiring possibilities - you should find something that suits you http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techwire/diagindx.htm

Good luck.

pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pietro_moog »

without tone control the guitar is gonna be super bright. and i would say that a splitted humbucker does not sound good

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Following on from Pietro_Moog’s post, I could agree that SOME humbuckers might not sound too good when split (although I’ve always used quality pickups and never heard a bad-sounding split).

My preference is, rather than splitting the humbucker, to rewire the two coils in parallel rather than in series. This gives a brighter tone while still keeping the humbucking properties.

Once again, there are plenty of diagrams around the web for this, but you could try the Seymour Duncan site (SD normally includes such wiring diagrams with their pickups).

Hope this helps.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook