Help with Charvette "single coils"

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

I've had these pickups for ages and decided to use them in one of my guitars.They are black and say Charvelle in white,they have shielded wire and seem to be taller then regular SCs.
At first I thought they were stacked humbuckers but now I think they might be for use with an active pre.
They are kinda low impedance...5K-ish and sound dull and dark.
The good thing is these are dead silent,no hum no noise...great if they had any sparkle to them.
If I plug the guitar through a rack pre they sound a lot better but directly to the amp.... horrible.
I can't find any info on Charvettes plus I don't know the model these came from,all i know is the guitar was a Charvette and the neck plate has a gasket that reads Charvelle Fort Worth Texas.
I was thinking of the stupidly awesome buffer,what do u think ...suggestions...any info on these?
Thanks
Aharon

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

I meant Charvel not Charvelle.
Aharon

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Charvel pickups have a model number on them and you can find all the info needed at the Jackson forum. tell me the number on the pickup and I may be able to help you.

If they are JC100 single coils then they are non active designed, If they are the JC200 (quite likely) charvel Model 4 then they will be stacked humbuckers and are designed to be used with the active circuitry.

The charvels that have the Fort 'Worth Texas' neck/heel plate were all made in japan.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

Thanks Ice9,no number anywhere on them.The back looks like epoxy and the front says Charvel(guitar looking logo) and below it reads Charvel by Jackson and the registered trademark R.One thing I remember is that the original guitar had a 3 pos selector sw not a 5.
Aharon

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Aharon wrote:Thanks Ice9,no number anywhere on them.The back looks like epoxy and the front says Charvel(guitar looking logo) and below it reads Charvel by Jackson and the registered trademark R.One thing I remember is that the original guitar had a 3 pos selector sw not a 5.
Aharon
Ah I see, they are from a much later model Charvel, and I think possibly from a charvette guitar. The charvel guitars mostly used Jackson pickups and hardware, while I believe the Charvette's used mainly Charvel marked pickups.

If there is a little rubber cushion on th ebottom of the pickup it may be likely that the pickup model code is under that.

Have a look over at the Jackson online forum, I have found this to be the go to forum for info on Jackson/Charvel and charvette guitars.
http://www.jcfonline.com/content/
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

Thanks Ice-9,I will.
Aharon

kingmafw
Information
my favorite amplifier: Yerasov Gavrosh 10
Completed builds: Dr. Boogie - Asphyx - Holland
Sharkfin - Papaformigas - Holland
Dr. Boogie - Soulskinner - Greece
Tim Screamer - Chaedrist - Germany
Tubescreamer - Detlef Hoeller - Germany
Tubescreamer - Richard Güth - Germany
Stereo merger - the Bruceband - the Netherlands
Passive Y-box - the Bruceband - the Netherlands
Tremolo

Post by kingmafw »

Hi,

Old thread here but I own a Charvette 250 and I still love it.
Once upon a time there was an unofficial Charvette site which is down for 3 years, I think.

But...Use the Internet archive to view it again:
https://web.archive.org/web/20121030030 ... -70-series

You have a single coil humbucker. This was from the Charvette 270 guitar.

Greetings,
Kingmafw
it is mei sizzen net to dwaen

Johannes Harald Kingma - FWS Pedals - Germany

Aharon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Aharon »

Thanks kingmafw.
Aharon