Blade guitar preamp  [schematic]

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
nickthemen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nickthemen »

Very nice midboost, i am planning to build it in a stompbox.
Attachments
Blade git preamp.JPG

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Some pictures of Blade Texas Custom 20 preamp:

I believe this one uses MC33174N quad opamp.

nickthemen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nickthemen »

it seems to be the same guitar as i have , made in switserland, it has one dual opamp

Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

Dear nickthemen, thanks for the schematic. Blade are swiss guitars, and I have a chanse to open one of them a long time ago.
I make a picture of a pcb. Here it is:

I'm not sure why on your schematics there is only 2 opamps and on the board is 4 opamp chip?

jt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jt »

Hi nikifene,the schematic that nickthemen has posted is the second version of the vsc pream.The one in your photo is version 3. I have a blade texas standard withe vsc 2 and it definitely has a LF442 op amp.
By the way it would be great if someone could post a schem of vsc3 as blade says that it is more vintage sounding than vsc 2 and has less battery consumption.

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

I have a blade texas standard pro strat, and I love that midboost (mine is with MC33174N chip). Unfortunetly guitar itself is not that good quality. I had (have) some bad problems with it. Truss rod was busted on first one, they replaced whole neck. Now I need to take it to my guitar tech to check if the new neck is ok. Lots of trouble.

shadowen
Information

Post by shadowen »

I'd also appreciate a VSC-3 diagram.

I suspect some of the extended battery life is actually due to the 33174 being able to work with lower voltage levels, so it can keep working as the battery loses voltage, but there are probably other improvements.

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

Hi

Just saw this post.

Am keen try out this preamp but need to confirm how it would be wired into the guitar.

From the description on Blade's website I assume that this circuit has 2 modes - Treb/Bass boost mode and Mid boost mode.

With reference to the diagram (above), I assume that the upper section is for Mid mode and lower section is for Treb/bass mode. I also assume that the input is the node to the left of the diagram, and the nodes to the right are descrete outputs for the 2 modes. Battery to + and ground.

Am I correct?

Blades site indicates that they utilise this circuit via a 3 way switch toggling between BASS/TREB, PASSIVE MODE and MID boost. Assume this is a on/on/on switch.

With regard to the differences between v2 and v3 circuits, the parts count is similar. I imagine that whilst a quad op amp is used in v3, the circuit may actually only utilise 2 of the 4 op amps in the MC33174N. Might be that the quad op amp is more efficient as suggested.

jt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jt »

Hi ryanuk
You are right about the switch.It is a 3 way on-on-on and it's function is mid boost in one position ,passive in the midle,treble and bass boost in the other as you have assumed.

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

jt

Thanks for your reply.

I sat down last night and tried to figure out how the ON/ON/ON switch is wired - I baked my noodle and got nowhere.

Any chance you take some pics of your blade preamp (front and back) and the switch so I can trace it??

Ry

jt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jt »

Unfortunately my camera is pretty useless for close up photos but i can help you with the switch wiring.
If you number the switch terminals like this :
1 | 2
3 | 4
5 | 6
Terminal 1 is connected to junction of R3-R4,
2 is jumpered with 3,
4 is connected to output jack,
5 is connected to lug 2 of volume pot and also to junction of R1-C5,
and terminal 6 is connected to R2.
Hope that helps.

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

That helps a lot jt, thanks!!

Can you confirm the circuit posted above?? Does it compare with yours??

jt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jt »

Hi,I will try to verify the posted schematic in the next few days.

shadowen
Information

Post by shadowen »

jt, do you know what the connector into the board is? I've got hold of a VSC but I need to connect it in and I can't work it out from the header... I don't recognize that type.

jt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jt »

Shadowen the connector looks like it's custom made,at least i haven't seen something similar for sale.
I would desolder it from the board and then use the pcb holes to solder single wires.
To ryanuk the posted schematic as long as i can tell looks right.Problem is that it's a double sided board and at the components side some traces are covered by silk screening and by some components.So i can't be totally sure.

vachyasu
Information

Post by vachyasu »

I'm sorry it is broken English.

It was in Japan of the 90's that I obtained blade guitar rh-4.
The ash body, the ebony finger board, and PU are 3s, the falcon tremolos, and vsc. 、
Afterwards, rh-2 was obtained.

When having analyzed it in several years, those vsc circuits were the same things.

The schematic diagram that you showed is wonderful !!

The vsc circuit that I read is presented.

There are a few disadvantages though it is stomp box's. (Do not make it to the control by the hand. )

Two substrates were not able to do it by the piling in an original + power supply.
+ power supply was connected by the jump.
The power supply in a fresh battery or the DC is recommended for the reasons.

The substrate chart enters the case with the MXR type from the size by 19.5% printout.
Attachments
In case
In case
vsc_stomp_01.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 20567 times
vsc layout
vsc layout
vsc substrate chart
vsc substrate chart

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

nickthemen wrote:it seems to be the same guitar as i have , made in switserland, it has one dual opamp
Irrelevant to the purpose of this thread really .. but I think you'll find that they're made in Asia.
People like to claim the early ones were made in Switzerland, but I think they've always been made in Asia.

I have an early one and it's good guitar, although the neck is a bit thin for my taste.
The electronics have been removed and are stored in my workshop.. but you seem to have them covered.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

mcaviel
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mcaviel »

had a chance to play some last year they are made in Japan (still Asia tough..)

vachyasu
Information

Post by vachyasu »

I'm Sorry.
I correct the unit of condenser.
I show a right layout.
Attachments
vsc_right Layout
vsc_right Layout

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Hello everybody
i recently acquired 2 Blade Texas strats ,one with VSC2 the other with version 3.
V2 has the LF442 chip (like Demeter boost,very clean sounding and low consumption)like in the first schematic,V3 has an LMC6464 and the circuit is the same as in previous picture posted.
This chip is the lowest current consuming op amp available,such the MC33174 according to alldatasheet files
It seems all connected so i guess there is at least one stage for each frequency band and maybe one on input or output,go figure.
also on the back of the board there seems a gooped component,maybe a resistor or a cap
if anyone is really interested i can post some pics of the actual circuit and perhaps try to trace it if i have the time and patience

ciao
Ale