Gibson's Robot Guitar

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Gibson's self-tuning, self intonating, Robot Guitar

http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/robot ... o=training
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

I think it's a wicked idea!
Ugly colour though :(

Is it the same type of system jimi page used back in the 90's in a golden LP with a few ugly buttons close to the pickguard?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Don't worry if you're into Robotics but a diehard Fenderfan:

http://www.fender.com/vgstrat/home.html

Now who was first? Who stole whose IP? :D Or both licensed from Roland or some other developping firm that's strong enough to resist exclusivity contracts with either?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

axiss
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by axiss »

snail wrote:Is it the same type of system jimi page used back in the 90's in a golden LP with a few ugly buttons close to the pickguard?
Not at all. I saw the system Jimmy used back then listed for $20,000 :shock: in an old Guitar World Buyers' Guide.
I bet the Robot Guitar is cheaper. :lol:

premiumplus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by premiumplus »

I think I'll stick to my Strobo Stomp for now...BTW, Hi all!
Vinyl rules.

Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

Actually the patent and innovation is not from gibson.
The self tunnign guitar is created from this guys:
http://www.tronical.com/

And about fender, they use guitar processor inside your guitar. What will be happent when I'm out of tune ? :) I have drop D out of tune :) :horsey:

MKB
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MKB »

If any of you guys get EE Times, they have articles where they reverse engineer electronic products. The latest issue (#1524) has the Robot Guitar in it, with a description of the parts used, pictures of the PCB's, and its basic under-the-hood operation. One surprising thing about the design is they use the guitar strings as the signal and power connections between the boards in the body and the tuners on the headstock (so they don't have to run wires through the neck). There is redundancy designed in so that if a string breaks the system still works. Probably for the thing to work you'll have to keep your hand off the strings and remove your capo if you use one. Nor would it like metal slides perhaps.

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

yeah the first recording using the original self tuning guitar ( according to my research a few years back ) can be heard on the Fourth Estate album "See what I see" instrumental rock stuff but very very very very tastey tones and immaculate playing by guitarist Dave Beegle. I HIGHLY recommend it. He used this guitar and a vintage strat into a plexi for a wide array of modern vintage tones that are just great and sit very well in the mix. There is a good mix of chill/brooding songs along some cool dadgad rockers with a 3 track arabic inflected "epic" entitled "Kara Kum" ( pronounced "kara koom not come :wink: capish?" ) where you can hear Dave seemlessly utilize the self tuning system to a great extent ( changing tunings during the song in a way that becomes part of the riff) very clever guy and just doesn't get the credit he deserves.

puppiesonacid