Walrus Audio - Messner

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Sasan
Information

Post by Sasan »

I'm looking for a layout of the Walrus Audio Messner Low-Gain OD.
Actually, I own this pedal, but would nevertheless have a second one (self-made). So, in case it's helpful and appropriate on this board, I could provide gut shots.
The Messner is a low gain-transparent overdrive boasting a wide range of overdrive possibilities. It is designed to preserve the natural voice of your guitar by not coloring your tone, but giving the user the ability to dial in and out the exact amount of tone they desire.

A toggle switch allows the user to bypass the clipping diodes from the circuit in the open position and employ them in the closed position, allowing a wide range of breakup from subtle to dramatic. Flip it to the open position and dial in a lower drive setting to add subtle aggression to your tone. Run it in the closed position and turn the gain knob up for more compressed and punchy tones. The color control works in all modes, giving you the ability to dial in brighter tones as you turn it up and darker tones when turned down. If you are looking for a low gain, dynamic overdrive that won’t hide your guitar’s natural characteristics, meet my friend, the Messner.

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

That would be fine. I'll bet it's a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone

Sasan
Information

Post by Sasan »

POTL wrote:That would be fine. I'll bet it's a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone
Took some time, but here you go...sorry, couldn't take better pics without de-soldering anything...let me know if there's anything I could do to easen the tracing process.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

Sasan wrote:
POTL wrote:That would be fine. I'll bet it's a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone
Took some time, but here you go...sorry, couldn't take better pics without de-soldering anything...let me know if there's anything I could do to easen the tracing process.

[ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ]

cool
You can take a photo of the board on each side entirely
To the board was enlightened by a lamp (so it will be seen the route)

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

Resistors
1K X1
2K X1
2K2 X2
3K9 X1
4K7 X3
9K2 X1
10K X1
33K X1
47K X1
56K X1
100K X1
1M X2
10M X2

Cap Film 10 unnamed
Cap Ceramic 1 unnamed
Cap Elec
10 uf X3
100 uf X3

Op Amp Opa2134

Diodes
1N4148 X4
1N4002 X1

Trans
BS170

Volume B100K
Tone B10K
Gain B50K

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I put the PCBs on the scanner to get the shot of the solderside, that is the best way to me.

I using a metal angel to positioning the PCB in parallel away from the scanner borders.

Sasan
Information

Post by Sasan »

Sorry, no change to scan this...any othr possibility?
Or does anybody have this pedal and is able to scan?

lars-musik
Information

Post by lars-musik »

I just got one of these on my workbench. Even after desoldering the pots, no real chance of visulazing the traces on the component side due a ground plane underneath the silkscreen.
Any ideas of how to do this better?
ms_01.jpg
ms02.jpg
ms03.jpg

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Mehr Licht. Kennst du jemanden mit ordentlicher Kamera und separatem Blitz? Der müsste natürlich von hinten kommen und deshalb drahtlos auslösbar sein.

lars-musik
Information

Post by lars-musik »

Klappt nicht. Wie beschrieben, Groundplane. Massiv Kupfer. Da geht auch kein separater Blitz durch.

For our non - german speaker. Immo suggested back-lit flash. Unfortunately that won't help as the massive copper groundplane is light proof.

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

bounce off the marshall bluesbreaker scheme
The cascade with diodes is identical,
A ceramic capacitor between the negative input and output, in parallel the resistor 33K
Further, the resistor is followed by a 9K2 resistor connected to 4 diodes of 1N4148, the toggle switch disconnects the diodes

lars-musik
Information

Post by lars-musik »

POTL wrote:bounce off the marshall bluesbreaker scheme
So this is just another King of Tone?

It did sound different to my ears (which doesn't mean much).

I must agree that it wasn't special enough to to through all pads with the DMM, so I guess I'll just A/B it again with my KofT-Clone.